Re: BoCon - when ? <!-- s/Bo/Bi/ -->

On ث, 2004-03-30 at 09:40, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Mohammed Elzubeir wrote:
>
> > I am generally not in favor of funky looking names and would
> > rather see names that make sense (practicality). I think the
> > current script does nothing useful at the moment (Persian
> > specific, no? -- I haven't looked at the code in awhile).
>
> Currently it only loads font, keymap, and runs bicon.  In the
> future (when the old bicon script is ported), it will accept
> different options, to turn bidi on/off, shaping on/off, ligatures
> on/off, etc etc, and it loads different fonts on the occasion.
>
> So, Alkarouri, please do not dump that old bicon script.  Just
> rename it.

Well, it is my feeling now that names are the biggest hurdles since the
project started in arabeyes. Frankly, I feel now that it is easier for
me to get its functionality within abicon than rename it:)

> I'm still thinking about what to name the binary and the script.
> I can see these tools (we already got all of them in some sense):
>
> bicon_cat:  is now called bconsole_vu.
> bicon_start:  like unicode_start, sets keymap and font.
> bicon_stop:  like unicode_stop, ...
> bicon_filter:  what is called bicon now.
> bicon_console:  abicon script.
> bicon_tty:  a mingetty equivalent, or something that simply calls
>   mingetty inside a bicon shell.

I don't think we can do a bicon_start and bicon_stop. A bicon_console is
sensible, or a biconsole (the least funky name;). I don't want to rename
abicon multiple times, so if no agreed suggestions are there by tonight,
I will rename to bicon_console, and release an alpha.
The main naming idea is sensible, surely.

> Ideas?
>
> --behdad
>   behdad.org

I hope that you will be able to finish bconsole off today, Behdad. That
was one of the main reasons I am releasing an alpha, not beta. I think
that the code now is above alpha quality already, and we need general
testing.

Out of curiousity, though, what is the bug exactly?

To conclude:
- We will have a single arabic keymap and use symbolic links.
- abicon name makes no sense, point taken, rename to bicon_console.
- I will have an alpha release today, with the status quo. That is,
holding back installation of bconsole and bjoining and their scripts. We
need at least some documentation for these (at least man pages).

After releasing, I will file a bug to request an arabeyes bugzilla
project. Bugs should be documented there.

Targets for next alpha:
- bconsole
- better documentation
- rpm,deb (not show stoppers)