Re: BoCon - when ? <!-- s/Bo/Bi/ -->

On ن, 2004-03-29 at 07:18, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Mohammed Elzubeir wrote:
>
> > I recommend instead of having bicon and abicon, having bicon.bin and
> > bicon respectively. I think that would help settle the confusion (and
> > have seen it done by various other projects).
>
> Well, I'm thinking something different:  bicon is something that
> almost works in all terminals, while abicon is console specific.

Second that; bicon _will_ be used and also abicon, so I don't  like the
bicon.bin name.

> Moreover, (Alkarouri:)  we should deliver bjoining_vu and
> bconsole_vu too.  They are extremely useful.  The are cat-like
> utilities to read Arabic in say gnome-terminal.   BTW, they need
> a better name.  Perhaps not for this release.  There are also
> bconsole/vuconsole and bconsole/edconsole that need to be
> updated.

The utilities are already compiled; we need just to change the noinst
and a little tweaking. We need to revise the scripts.
I don't like to release them with a temporary name, though. Any
suggestions?

> > I personally am not a big fan of the 'abicon' -- it certainly threw me
> > off.
>
> Well, bicon is supposed to be a library for doing Arabic in
> console.  I mean, other programs are welcome to use the joining
> stuff in bicon as a library.  I'm not sure about the names, but
> better we fix the names from the first release.  Maybe "bicontty"
> is a good name for "abicon", or "bycon" ;).

I am not sure about the 'bicontty' name; it gives me a feeling of
agetty/mingetty/etc. Is it a full replacement for them?

I would suggest, in that order: bicondo, biconsole, bcon, bycon.

As an aside, I will remove the bin/bicon script. Any comments?

> > Also, as far as the keymaps installing in places where specific distro's
> > dictate -- let me tell ya, it will be a nightmare. I know, I had to deal
> > with that with Akka.
> >
> > My recommendation is to leave that up to package creators.. or have the
> > script 'detect/ask' what distro it is and selectively install based on
> > that. Otherwise, every other distro seems to think different locations
> > are more suitable for keymaps.
>
> I only meant to do that in a portable way.  Perhaps we can leave
> it for now, but adding configure parameters for them is what I
> see a clean solution.  Guess there are parameters for that
> already.  RPM invokes ./configure with a myriad of parameters.  I
> will check later, no stopper for now.

Leave this for now. I think the proper location should be specified by
package creators, till keymaps and fonts find their way upstream.