Re: discussing the QAC rule - acronyms

On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 01:06, Munzir Taha wrote:

> It's not fair to convince everyone. It would be OK to convince the majority.
> Making a new rule should not be easier. It should also be made after the
> opinion of the majority. It's not logic to make a distinction here.

That's fine -- start by convincing one person on the list ;)

> Ok let's forget about our professional translator POV or United Nation or
> UNESCO stuff. Would you agree to look in M$, Apple, Macromedia, Adobe, and
> any famous name that produce localized software? Would you consider their
> professional technical translators view point? I don't know of any that
> trasliterate or transcribe or transeyes any of its product names!!

Okay sure. How does MS deal with "Windows". Does it transcribe or
transliterate? Why don't you go ahead and check that since you brought
it up. Last I remember, they transliterated.

Then again, you have to consider that most of those companies did not
spend a lot of money on localization for Arabic.

> I am sure any translator who is met across SATAN, KTouch, NETBUEIGUI, ...
> would appreciate my suggestion and would understand why consistency would
> almost be impossible.

Let's get a wiki page with a list of application names and their
transliteration in a table. We can have a reference sheet and stick with
consistency.

> How does the translator supposed to know about the context when he translates
> a lib that contains 2000 words scattered in all KDE parts?

You're right. That's where QA comes in, wouldn't you think?

Regards
| Unix the 'right' way |  http://elzubeir.fakkir.net/ |