Re: Debian Stage1 almost finished

--- Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com> wrote:
[...]
> I think instead of doing all that silently :-) I'd highly suggest you keep
> track of all the mistakes and changes you had to make and summarize them
> so that those that perpetrated those mistakes "learn" and not repeat them.
> I'm not saying post on every little modification, but do keep tabs on who
> you think made those mistakes and see if there is a pattern to their
> madness :-) and then email the list (or them privately) and point that
> out for them (and others) to be aware of said issues.

Well, its hard to know _exactly_ who did what, and in any case 95% of
"mistakes" made are not really mistakes but cosmetic stuff. For instance,
ignored shaddas were not really ignored, its just that the files were
translated before we had a QAC ruling on shaddas. By now everyone is aware of
that ruling. As for mispellings, they are a fact of a life, and we can only
deal with those through revision (or maybe Duali?).

As for the more important thing, that is, eloquency, I do plan to make a big
stink about it so don't worry. I don't like to see stilted sentences that sound
like an English sentence with Arabic vocabulary. I like to see _Arabic_
sentences with Arabic words AND structures.

There is a difference between fluency (الطّلاقة) and eloquency
(الفصاحة). All of us are and are fluent, but I for one can't call myself
eloquent, though I try. An example of a sentence I recently changed:
Debian installer main menu/

Previous translation:أ
لقائمة ألرئيسية لتركيب نظام دبيان

New translation:
قائمة مثبّت دبيان الرّئيسيّة

I don't know about you guys but the second one just seems much more natural and
"Arabic" to me :)

> Salam and keep up the GREAT work.

No comment ;)