Re: discussing the QAC rule - acronyms

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 21:24, Munzir Taha wrote:
> My previous experience in translations is turned to be fruitful to me. Many of
> the things which I haven't been able to take a decision about have been clear
> to me now. I want to share my experience here with you.
>
> I made my choices of what's the best way to  handle many issues. I would like
> to discuss these things here if you don't mind changing what have been stated
> before if convinced.

There is no rulebook as to what is required to revert a QAC decision.
Perhaps there should be one. I would think that you would have to
convince everyone you are right to "change" a rule. Making a new one
should be easier.

> First, we agree together that QAC's role is to provide quality and consistent
> translation, right?

It is to _assure_ quality, yes.

> Consistency is the point I want to stress here.
>
> I will begin with acronyms. I am strongly in favor of leaving those as they
> are without trying to type them in Arabic letters. KDE should never be

As I am to the opposite. I am _extremely_ against what you are
suggesting.

> translated as كي دي إي nor as كيدي. ِA professional translator in our team,

This "professional" is not a professional technical translator, is he?

> has mentioned that official and certified translation deal with them
> like this. He mentioned a lot of stuff regarding United Nations translation
> standard (IIRC).

Let's see this standard then. Someone "mentioning" something in a "by
the way" is not good enough. Let us see a link to such a document. Keep
in mind that the UN is _not_ a computer-based organization and their
standards would naturally be different form one that is.

> I searched the web and found many projects points to this, e.g.:
> http://translate.sourceforge.net/doc/translation-new-words

Yes and? It doesn't say much, it just says you can do x, y or z.

> Transliteration will get the translators in problems regarding how is it
> pronounced and also space-fitting issues. The first will carry a lot of

No. I don't see that as an issue. One word comes up, brief discussion,
agreement, it's written down and it no longer would be discussed. Well,
that is, until a Munzir comes up and disagrees with what everyone agreed
on again ;)

> unnecessary discussion of what's the correct pronounciation and the lator
> would force the translator to know the context and decide whether the space
> allowed for the msgstr will suffice. Besides being difficult, it would cause

Yes, it is up to the translator if they want to clarify the word or not.

> inconsistency which is very bad and unprofessional.

That would not cause inconsistency. I don't see how that would happen.

> Let's see to which extent we can agree together ;)

Munzir, you are also confusing two issues. There is a difference between
product names and other acronyms (like protocol names, etc.) In the
first case, we say you MUST transliterate. However, in the case of a
non-product/application names/abbreviations you are to transcribe.
Please do review the QAC rules again. For example:

HTTP would be transcribed as 'http' and not transliterated. A translator
has the option of whether to explain what it is by providing a
translated antonym between paranthesis (provided there is space --
depends on context) or can leave it as is. However, when it is a product
name, it would be unacceptable to transcribe it.

Regards
| Unix the 'right' way |  http://elzubeir.fakkir.net/ |