Re: PuTTY links (was Re: next step.)

> PuTTY's home page is at http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

I had already downloaded and compiled and worked around , with this first
notes:
    1- as you mentioned the author uses ExtTextOut , and ExtTextOutW  , and
also SetTextAlign .
    2- i had put my hand on the rendering part , where he draw the text
retrieved from the server( i mad  a small arabic text file  and put it on
linux server and try on it ).
    3- i start to change the SetTextAlign parametres to be TA_RTLREADING but
didnot work .

then i had gone to
http://www.arabeyes.org/cvsweb/projects/external/putty/WINDOW.C and found
that you had moved some code  to display.c ("moved display related
functionality from terminal.c to display.c") as u mentioned .

then in diplay .c SetTextAlign(und_dc, TA_TOP | TA_LEFT | TA_NOUPDATECP);
is still as it was , so you mentioned in your first post that " The right to
left display was accomplished by simlpy reversing the input data before
displaying. The letter shaping is courtesy of Windows. Still experimenting.
_Some_ of the issues that remain to be addressed:"

and u had used some library called VIM , idont know it , so iam also take to
have a look over it .

"by simlpy reversing the input data before displaying"
is this right ?? sorry for my question , but why u just use
SetTextAlignement ??

also u said that :
"
- The command to switch between screen directions (visual layouts) should
be communicated to PuTTY by one of the following alternatives :

1. UI check box

2. Terminal command . Need to find that in the bidi terminal spec posted
earlier on this list. In that case, the idea is for the user to echo what
ever sequence and PuTTY would pick it up, interpret, and apply it. The
same concept of "echo <terminal command>" can be used before a cat <arabic
file> in order to instruct PuTTY to do its magic on the input.

Comments any one ?
"

i think using keyboard hook to make this RTL direction through key
combinations , or  autodetection of the encoding type , or some combination
of autodetection and user asking dialogs (did u need rtl or not ...? some
thing like ).

> I do not promise to keep the above URLs, so you may want to DoxyGen
> them yourself ;)

all right i had downloaded it and worked now on it , thanks for this beauty
tip ;-)

> Putty uses ExtTextOut , and ExtTextOutW to draw strings. These APIs
> will do shaping and BIDI. We have two options here :
>
> - Continue to use these APIs and let them do the shaping while we will
> do the BIDI.
>
> - We do the shaping, but we need to find another set of APIs that
> allows us to find a glyph index in a font, based on its unicode
> character, and simply draw that glyph. I will leave it as an exercise
> for you to research and come with the results ;)

ok boss ;-) i will make it , iam currently working on some of it , but ihad
found some API ( GetGlyphOutline, GetGlyphIndices) and the latter works only
on 2000 .

any way dont worry just make order and i will take it .

> Feel free to write a small program that demonstrates the Windows
> APIs. Again we need to be able to draw arabic glyphs based on unicode
> input. Although we will be using fixed width fonts, we still want to
> know the width of the drawn string (think about the LAM ALEPH, shaping
> maps this sequenct into a single glyph).

ok iam working on , i will make one that retrieve remote file from linux
server and draw it in its ordeer .

plz correct me if iam not .

> Start searching for the word glyph , and work your way from
> there. Other interesting keywords are arabic, bidi
>
> To be more specific, the Mozilla windows graphics are also
> interesting.
>
> See http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/gfx/src/windows/

ok , i will do , but iam really had been taken by PuTTY and i had caught the
code , so i promise that most work will be on PuTTY .

> Cool! will be looking forward for that.

ok did u want it text or html file .

sayed