Re: next step.

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 07:06:11PM +0200, alsayed wrote:
> the first step i had already satisfied with working with PuTTY .

Good!

> the problem still exist as iam here behind firwall and IRC is restricted the
> only way i have to chat is MSN (my id is alsayedtaham at hotmail dot com) i dont
> reply on this mail  :-).

Then let's forget about char, and communicate via email. Shouldn't be
a problem there.

> >I am looking into patching PuTTY, and make it shape arabic letters
> >correctly.
>
> from the arab eyes site i had seen the first post of mr kamal dalal and i
> can now understand the problem , that he is trying to diplay arabic
> characters correctly along with other characters in the shell .
>
> so my next step now is to explore the program architecture  ?

Yes. We need to solve the following problems:

- Memory representation of the characters that come over the wire. As
I mentioned before I like the mlterm way and am thinking to borrow
from there.

- Understand the Windows Text and Font APIs. To be more specific,
given a character code, UTF-8 or unicode, and a font, we need to
locate the corresponding glyph from the font, and ask windows to draw
that glyph. Microsoft's MSDN is your best friend here.

- Implement shaping and BIDI, again borrowing from current
implementations.

I suggest that you take the second one, and I will take the
first. What do you think ?

I don't see any need to change the "back-end" that is the low level
communication and encryption logic. We are lucky that encryption
algorithms used in ssh are not language depdnedent ;)

> also iam now making glossary file (text file ) from the link you had post
> about all terms found in it to be small reference .
> and if i can i will translate it also .

Great!