Re: Quran Project (was - Note: Translating Arabeyes)

--- Ahmad Twaijry <msx at hush dot com> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003  Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com> wrote:
>
> >I've had these 3 files (from the now missing Mohammed Yousif -
> >we really need someone else to take over the Quran project now) for
> >a while
>
> The Quran project is one of the best project (as its one of a few Arabic
> projects in Unix) and too many people was very happy about it in Gitex
> I hope someone can take over the Quran project

There are 2 issues that require urgent attention.

 1. The project's data files are not certified to be correct and/or
    genuine (we should not even consider publishing potential ta7reef
    and so all the data files have been pulled-off CVS and are not being
    hosted at this moment - check the archives for various details).
    We've asked on a number of occasions to get assistance from a well
    respected entity to help us out with this regard.  We finally found
    out about Qurancomplex.org (in Madina), yet for the past 9 (yes NINE)
    months we can't seem to get any answers from them (or even contact
    them to open a dialog).  We'd like them to supply us all the data files
    (of the genuine Holy Quran and its various translations on their website).
    Better yet, we'd like to set it up so that a user would pull the data
    from their site when he/she first starts their application (and we make
    sure that the application will only work with a certain md5sum or similar
    to ensure proper content).  We are VERY open to ideas on how to do this,
    but we need to talk to them.

    Ahmad, Samy is (and Walid was) trying to contact them - could YOU help
    bring this to reality as well please.  I'm sure someone in SCS and/or
    the LUG (or personal contacts) would possibly know someone on the inside.

 2. With Mohammed Yousif missing now for like 3 months (or more) we need
    to either,
    a. Have someone contact him physically (at home via phone or a knock
       on the door - he's in .eg) -- I hope he's OK
    b. Find a capable replacement to take on the work that he left off

Ideas/Comments/Suggestions ?