Re: Changed stance on imperative use

OK, I will put it in the discussion page of صيغة الأفعال في الواجهة.

2006/12/26, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug dot org>:
On Mon, Dec 25, 2006 at 05:59:24PM +0200, Ahmad Farghal wrote:
> Hi everybody.
>
> This message is to let you know that I changed my stance on imperative
> use and changed my vote on the wiki page accordingly.
>
> My former arguments were all about that imperative form might not feel
> natural to users of other Arabized software, and that if something is
> not broken, don't fix it.
>
> I have been using the latest gnome translation for a week now and I am
> telling you.. imperative form now feels natural and very normal.
> Granted, at the beginning there was some disorientation.. but it went
> away in a few hours of use. Now, I even feel that infinitive is
> just... um... wrong!
>
> The only argument that still holds is that Arabic imperative form,
> when written, is kinda weird because of the elimination of vowels
> "harf al 'illa" due to the "gazm" of the imperative verb.
>
> Sorry, infinitive people, I have crossed to the other side!
>
> P.S. We should have a wiki page explaining rules of deriving the
> imperative form of verbs and other grammatical rules of Fus-ha Arabic,
> or at least some links to sites that do.

Could you post this in the relevant wiki page? This'll be helpful to
people fearing from imperative usage.

--
Khaled Hosny

Egyptian GNU/Linux user
Member of Arabeyes translation team [www.arabeyes.org]
My Blog: [khalid_hosny.manalaa.net]

Support Free Knowledge [ar.wikipedia.org]