Re: linux arabic standardization

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 12:21:10 +0000, Chahibi Youssef <chahibi at gmail dot com> wrote:

> السلام عليكم
>     I think that I have to write a complete review of the arabization
> of the arabic desktop.
> For the link, the website is a bit broken, try :
> www.arabization.org.ma/Dictionnaire.asp

I don't know if you are also aware of the existence of the ALECSO
(google for it and search Arabeyes' website since there are a few
archived messages about it). It is the standardization organism of the
Arab league, they standardize translations of Technical/Scientific
terms among other things. I have two of their dictionaries.

Of course the problem is that some of the translated terms are not
very natural or up-to-date, and there are a lot of new terms which are
simply missing. But globally, they are good dictionaries. Another
issue is that they are not available online. Maybe we should contact
them and expose the necessity of having those dictionaries online for
the benefit of all. Aren't they supposed to be a non-profit
organization ? ;-) We should also be able to contribute somehow to
that work (based upon our 'practical' experience), at least by
submitting proposals or such. But I think that depends on the... QAC
;)

Salam,

PS: BTW, whose website is it? Is it of a Moroccan institution?

--
Youcef R. Rahal