Re: linux arabic standardization

--- Chahibi Youssef <chahibi at gmail dot com> wrote:
> I started to translate Mandrakelinux arabic website and of course I
> had to look for the translation of some terms. Also I wanted to see
> the style of translation in the arabic desktop, but I can say that
> it's unusable: the word-by-word translation is weird, too artificial.
> I was using KDE 3.3.2 on Mandrakelinux (maybe the 3.4 BRANCH is
> better).

If you have issues you want to point out please do so.  It would be
best to show some examples and to make your point more clearly so that
others have something to react to - if what is being done in terms
of translations now is subpar then we can always improve upon it, but
a topical critique is best.

> I also noticed that the terms in QaMoose are different from
> Arabization.org.ma which is, I think, an official effort to
> standardize the arabic dictionary in many areas. (The website
> works better on Konqueror.)

I've never heard of Arabization.org.ma (nor was I or anyone at Arabeyes
informed of its "official effort" status).  I wasn't able to find a URL
that resolves to the above mentioned work.

> I think that QaMoose and the translated projects should be
> synchronized to Arabization.org.ma . Also, I think that the "add a
> term" functionality in QaMoose must be removed because it destroys the
> arabic language.

I see no issues with synchronizing given they are willing to work with
us and their license allows for it.  I also think the 87,000+ terms
we're holding bring alot to the table and are a worthy data-set.

> Another question : How are commercial softwares translated ? Can a
> unified dictionary be uploaded to Arabeyes ?

Anything is possible, we just need to get more details on what and why
this needs to be done.

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!