Re: Has my work been actually commited?

Salam,

On Sunday 07 March 2004 21:42, Yasser Chaddad wrote:
> Thank you for your promt reply, Youcef. In fact I had renamed the file
> with the po extension instead of pot. I had also followed the same
> sequence of commands to replace the pot with the po file and to commit
> the new file. I did that twice before. However, when I tried to do it
> today, I got the following erros:
>
> 1. After the command: $ cvs remove kdgantt.pot, I got:
> cvs remove: nothing known about `kdgantt.pot'
>
> 2- After the command: $ cvs add kdgantt.po, I got:
> cvs add: nothing known about `kdgantt.po'

Well, the above are not errors. This is what you get when you run those
commands more than once.

> But this is the first time that I get the following message after the
> command: $ cvs commit
>
> "Enter Log.  Lines beginning with `CVS:' are removed automatically
> CVS:
> CVS: Committing in .
> CVS:
> CVS: Modified Files:
> CVS:    translate/wordlist/full_wordlist_U.po
> CVS:    translate/wordlist/new/new_words_B.po
> CVS: Added Files:
> CVS:    translate/kde/kdebase/kio_fonts.po
> CVS:    translate/kde/koffice/kdgantt.po
> CVS: Removed Files:
> CVS:    translate/kde/koffice/kdgantt.pot"
>
> Does this mean that the file kdgantt.po has been now commited?

Hmm. I think I understand ;-) You simply did not edit and saved the message.
What you see above is vi (console text editor), which is launched by default
when you commit a file, in order for you to actually write something (commit
message). If you prefer to use another editor, you have to change the $EDITOR
variable (in bash, you'd do 'export EDITOR=emacs', if you want to use emacs
for ex). Then, when you'd do 'cvs commit', it opens an emacs session, where
you need to type the message and then you have to save the file in order for
the commit to take effect.

In fact, I suppose none of your commits took effect...

You need absolutely to read the entire CVS howto, above all the section that
explains how to commit and use vi:

http://www.arabeyes.org/download/documents/howto/cvs-howto-en/#id2440972

I think it'd work now.

> I hope I did not make any harm to the world lists mentioned above. I
> only had made very minor modifications to them, and that was a long time
> ago. I apologize to Ahmed, Ossama or other contributors to the WordList
> if they were working on these files. I hope that they can undo waht I
> did.

I advice you to ask first the wordlist coordinator(s) and see with them if you
can commit the wordlist files or not (if they are three weeks old, you may
get some cvs conflicts).

Let me know if this works for you or not,

Salam,

- --
Youcef R. Rahal
Arabeyes.org