Re: Changes to Debian Installer first stage files

> It might not be my place to say this, but I honestly think this is not
> a very good idea.  This is like saying all of Gnome's PO files will be
> concatenated into a single file (see what I mean).  I'm not sure what
> is involved on the backend (ie. from Debian), but I again (and this
> will be the last I say anything about this topic) suggest you discuss
> this with the translators (esp. those with multiple team-members) to
> fully get their feedback.  I continue to think that they would much
> prefer multiple files.

A few are in favour of multiple files for about the same reasons you
seem to be. However, most "teams" are less organised teams and most
benefit from the single file method.

Among really organised teams, the opinion are shared. Some favour the
single file system, some other are less enthusiast....but I'm pretty
confident all will finally accept the switch because, based on my
current experience of 1,5 years translating D-i, this is far better
adapted to the way it changes....

Also, we (D-I team) want D-I translations to be handled as a single
object with as much consistency as possible among translations. And,
indeed a single responsiblefor that is the best way to achieve this
consistency.

As the final file is indeed still not that huge, the balance is
currently more in favour of a single file. This is not comparable to
Gnome : there are far less strings to translate, for sure.

And anyway, this is only about D-I "first level", that is "core"
files. Other levels (currently called "stages" but this will change)
will still be handled as spearate objects.