Re: preliminary plan

Am Sam, 2003-11-15 um 06.03 schrieb Anmar Oueja:
> Arafat Medini wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > This is my preliminary plan which for sure needs further discussion.
> > Have a good base is very important, we are heading towards releases
> > beyond 2.4, gnome is beginning to become really mature, we can't rely
> > anymore on alpha and beta strings with grammar similar to what foreign
> > arabic language students use in their first year...
> >
> > So my plan is fairly simple: clean-up and ONLY work on 2.6
>
> Agreed. It seems best given the current situation of the translation and
> the army ot translators available ;)
>

> > With 2.6.1 coming out I want to have a solid "string base" which is
> > REALLY consistent, clean and professional. Different from Windows, and
> > very innovative. Simple and clean that's what I like most.
>
> I agree with the consistency but I question why it should be different
> from Windows. I think the more similar to Windows it is the better
> (users learning curve will be flatter) assuming Windows is using decent
> terminology.

 Well I have to admit I am a little bit allergetic against some windows
terminology and overall grammar and translation guidelines. I have to
agree with you in the fact that if it is similiar to windows learning
curve will be easier, but on the other side two important points bother
me.
 First in windows, if I am correct, names of apps are showed in latin
characters, something which I really hate. If an app is a system app
like CORBA or perl then ok but why for eg. write file-roller in latin
chars? this is even mentioned in the translator guidelines in arabeyes,
and I love it to write the names with arabic chars.
Second point, I don't agree with some terminology used in windows STILL
if the terminology used there is simpler to grasp then I will be in
favour of this terminology. It's all, as you pointed to, about making
the whole experience very simple and intuitive for the user.
And my view is: let gnome be more simpler to grasp then windows!

> > This means Arabbix will have to wait till 2.6 comes and it will rely on
> > 2.2 code. Bad I know BUT gnome for eg. had to wait nearly one more year
> > till gtk got the jump to 2.0 so that the ppl could work on gnome 2.0
> > which resulted in a delay in 2 years.
>
> Arabbix can wait until 2.6 is out on Debian let alone on out ;) This
> will take time so I am not holding my breath. BTW, any idea when is 2.6
> is slated for release ?
>From what I read once in a post, but long time ago... gnome 2.6 will come in
March, this lifecycle is every 6 months a release.

> > And rewrite is the most important thing now in the lifecycle of the
> > gnome arabization project I think. To make it up to date, fresh and a
> > good base for further big work, namely Arabbix  with maybe Evo at some
> > time or RH or Novell distros entering the Arabic market.
>
> Could you explain what you mean by "rewrite" ?
with rewrite I mean to rewrite the strings, sometimes you have strings
were the whole grammar has to be rewritten, or were merging went wrong
so I have to do new merging and then the whole string is false, or
change words to make them consistent along the whole po, etc...
so the whole idea is: complete means all the pos and rewrite for seeing
every string in every po and changing it, something which I am doing
right now!

> > Give me your thoughts, what do you think about this? I'll be open for
> > any suggestion.
> >

> There are many items that need attention... such as logistics or how to
> go about doing it, consistency, merging cvs and some Arabbix related
> questions. You and I will talk about Arabbix when we meet on IRC.

sure I am in favour of every constructive work! and working alone
because really boring after some time ;)So cooperating even on other
fields will be a good change for me ;)
> Thanks for you efforts Arafat... it is super you are still on this
> project. I myself very dedicated to GNOME and think it is the choice for
> Arabbix Desktop given the translation effort and the simple nature of GNOME.

Really thanx for your efforts too! I enjoyed Arabbix very much and after
trying it I was convinced this project has really a bright future!