Re: preliminary plan

Arafat Medini wrote:
Hi all,

This is my preliminary plan which for sure needs further discussion.
Have a good base is very important, we are heading towards releases
beyond 2.4, gnome is beginning to become really mature, we can't rely
anymore on alpha and beta strings with grammar similar to what foreign
arabic language students use in their first year...

So my plan is fairly simple: clean-up and ONLY work on 2.6

Agreed. It seems best given the current situation of the translation and the army ot translators available ;)

With 2.6.1 coming out I want to have a solid "string base" which is REALLY consistent, clean and professional. Different from Windows, and very innovative. Simple and clean that's what I like most.

I agree with the consistency but I question why it should be different from Windows. I think the more similar to Windows it is the better (users learning curve will be flatter) assuming Windows is using decent terminology.

This means Arabbix will have to wait till 2.6 comes and it will rely on
2.2 code. Bad I know BUT gnome for eg. had to wait nearly one more year
till gtk got the jump to 2.0 so that the ppl could work on gnome 2.0
which resulted in a delay in 2 years.

Arabbix can wait until 2.6 is out on Debian let alone on out ;) This will take time so I am not holding my breath. BTW, any idea when is 2.6 is slated for release ?

And rewrite is the most important thing now in the lifecycle of the gnome arabization project I think. To make it up to date, fresh and a good base for further big work, namely Arabbix with maybe Evo at some time or RH or Novell distros entering the Arabic market.

Could you explain what you mean by "rewrite" ?

Give me your thoughts, what do you think about this? I'll be open for any suggestion.

There are many items that need attention... such as logistics or how to go about doing it, consistency, merging cvs and some Arabbix related questions. You and I will talk about Arabbix when we meet on IRC.

Thanks for you efforts Arafat... it is super you are still on this project. I myself very dedicated to GNOME and think it is the choice for Arabbix Desktop given the translation effort and the simple nature of GNOME.

Salam
yours
Arafat Medini