Re: preliminary plan

--- Arafat Medini <lumina at silverpen dot de> wrote:
> This is my preliminary plan which for sure needs further discussion.

Thanks Arafat - we really need more people like you that we can all
depend on :-)

> So my plan is fairly simple: clean-up and ONLY work on 2.6
>
> With 2.6.1 coming out I want to have a solid "string base" which is
> REALLY consistent, clean and professional. Different from Windows, and
> very innovative. Simple and clean that's what I like most.
> This means Arabbix will have to wait till 2.6 comes and it will rely on
> 2.2 code. Bad I know BUT gnome for eg. had to wait nearly one more year
> till gtk got the jump to 2.0 so that the ppl could work on gnome 2.0
> which resulted in a delay in 2 years.

When is 2.6 slated to be released - in other words, what sort of schedule
do you have in mind for a completion date for the translation of Gnome-2.6 ?

As far as I'm concerned (esp. with regard to Arabbix), that is all OK given
we are aggressive (Anmar, do let us know what you think).  As has been noted,
we have a major crisis when it comes to people helping out and doing actual
work and we are in dire need of a solution (follow Anmar's recent post on
'general' with regard to this topic -- titled "Activation")

> Give me your thoughts, what do you think about this? I'll be open for
> any suggestion.

I think a couple of things need to happen here,

 1. Hafid's recent email about consistency needs to be addressed.  I agree
    with him that we need to be more clear on what terms to use for the
    common terms in our files (this is very important).  Just list out
    those terms and come to a consensus.
 2. I would love to see some people step forward to take ownership and
    tell us when they will complete the work at hand (ie. schedule) of
    certain directories.  If we had enough ACTIVE people we could have
    done both 2.4 and 2.6, but let's try to work on getting at least 3-4
    people on a project (for both Gnome and KDE).

Keep at it !!