Re: TODO draft for round-2 "Wordlist"

--- Ahmad Al-rasheedan <asr at baldi dot cc> wrote:
> On Thursday 14 August 2003 08:21, Munzir Taha Obeid wrote:
> > And this exactly the way I add words to bad_words. I think I have mentioned
> > this before. If it's not in a dictionary, it's not an English word _yet_.
> > Afterall, we are not the people who should add English terms and teach
> > English people their language - at least not in the linux Arabization
> > project.
>
> Ditto.
>
> > These same most users would argue that shopwise is correct. It's not
> > because penny-wise and penny wise is correct that pennywise is correct.
> > It's not because dollarwise is correct eurowise or dinarwise is correct. I
> > think it's better to close this door.
>
> I think it is time to define "ultimate reference" for good vs. bad (Even
> though Munzir closed the door at my face:)). I have been using
> onelook.com for that decision.
>
> I am not qualified to come up with new words nor to be the judge of
> what is good or bad. I simply use a reference since English is a second
> language to me.
>
> Wouldn't you feel funny had an English speaking person came up with
> an Arabic word:)...and added it to his Arabic/English dictionary:)

My final remark on this topic is if the word is used and is understood by
a number of people - it ought to be there (irrespective of what's in the
online dictionaries -- do also keep in mind that there are different kinds
of dictionaries (general, financial, medical, etc)).  In my collection of
these words, I tried to use the largest number of open source wordlists
that I could find and that ran the gamit in terms of subjects (medical,
financial, socio-econmic, educational, etc).  The fact that these words
are used, tells me its OK for us to include them (we are NOT making them
up after all :-)

> Door closed?

You guys are leading this - so whatever you gents decide is good enough
for me; I'm just putting forth my humble opinion.

I'm done with this topic :-)