Re: What Does ???? means in Arabic

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 08:31:44PM +0200, Isam Bayazidi wrote:
> Agree ..
>    We could make a simple English-Arabic Terms Reference Table ( I prefer
> calling it that than dictionary because a dictionary will give meanings,
> while the table gives terms) .. and make this table in a File that we can
> access in CVS so all the contributions could be added, and then the
> administrators chooses what updates to take what to reject ..

The term 'dictionary' is historically (under Unix) is simply a list of words
arranged in (normally) alphabetical order. For example, many password crackers come with
dictionaries, etc. But, I see your point.

More on that in my response to Chahine's message.

>          Or you could make a new mailing list that deals with the terms ..
> and this mailing list will produce this table.. those who is interested in
> finding the proper terms , and those who have good enlgish/arabic language
> could join in to help.. so even people who are not in the doc list can join
> the terms list to help in ..

We have no intentions of setting up anymore mailing lists at the moment. We
don't want to be too fragmented. But, it is a valid discussion on this list ;)

>          I am very excited about it now .. I have a holiday for 1 month,
> and I am willing to give alot in this month.. if we are going to spend the
> month deciding what text editor to use, we will never get there .. please
> Mohammed, I know that you are probably busy with 100000 things .. but we
> are anxiously waiting :)

These issues have already been discussed and decided on. Read previous
postings. Al-Katib (or your choice of any other simple text editor which can
save in Unicode format) is fine. KBabel is obviously out of the question at
the moment.

I have already setup the CVS respository and explained what needs to be done.
All you need to do now is get over there and pick a file, and start working on
it! Ahh.. let's do a sample session:

[on your Linux/Unix machine at home/work/wherever]
$ export CVSROOT=:ext:bayazidi at arabeyes dot org:/home/CVS
$ cvs checkout arabeyes/doc/kde-i18n

(enter your password when it prompts you for one)

$ cd arabeyes/doc/kde-i18n
$ cp kdeblibs.pot kdelibs.po
$ alkatib kdelibs.po &

The first few lines will look like this:

# SOME DESCRIPTIVE TITLE.
# Copyright (C) YEAR Free Software Foundation, Inc.
# FIRST AUTHOR <EMAIL at ADDRESS>, YEAR.
#
#, fuzzy
msgid ""
msgstr ""
"Project-Id-Version: PACKAGE VERSION\n"
"POT-Creation-Date: 2001-08-08 19:01+0200\n"
"PO-Revision-Date: YEAR-MO-DA HO:MI+ZONE\n"
"Last-Translator: FULL NAME <EMAIL at ADDRESS>\n"
"Language-Team: LANGUAGE <LL at li dot org>\n"

#: common_texts.cpp:77 rc.cpp:1 rc.cpp:16 rc.cpp:20 rc.cpp:23 rc.cpp:26
#: rc.cpp:32 rc.cpp:34 rc.cpp:35
msgid "&File"
msgstr ""

Ignore everything, except for the Translator name (you can put your name, and
email address on those spots), leave everything else along, I'll take care of
that.

then, the actual translation begins with:

msgid "&File"
msgstr "&Malaf"

Where you translate File to Malaf.

Now you decided that you only want to translate one word, and you're happy,
time for you to submit it (I hope that isn't the reality ,-).. ). So, you save
it (kdelibs.po). Go back to your shell prompt:

$ cvs add kdelibs.po
$ cvs commit kdelibs.po

It will prompt you for a password, and then a text editor (usually vi) will
pop-up so you can write a brief description of what you have done. Do that,
exit.. and it will submit it.

Remember, you only need to do 'cvs add' if the file doesn't already exist. Try
to update before you submit so your work doesn't overlap with another's.

I hope that helps. If you are unsure of something, please read the previous
post.

Good luck!

| Mohammed Elzubeir                    | http://www.fakkir.net/           |
| Tech Support                         | http://www.arabeyes.org/         |
| College of Business Computing Center | Homepage:                        |
| University of North Texas            | http://www.fakkir.net/~elzubeir/ |