Salaam,

>  - debian/changelog:
>  -------------------
>   + missing ITP
>
>  - debian/control:
>  -------------------
>   + no CAPS!
>   + Ubuntuish things :)
>   + use ${misc:Depends} and ${shlibs:Depends} instead of specifying Depends

I will correct the problems.

>  - debian/copyright:
>  -------------------
>   + wrap file
>   + distinguish Copyright and License (I already did the same remark for zekr)
>   + specify packaging license
>
> It is NOT PERMITTED to distribute ANY OF THESE FILES for commercial (or profit) purposes.
>  => not uploadable to Debian (or to non-free)
>  => in debian/control, put non-free where needed.

Ubuntu MOTUs told me that because Zekr depends on velocity and another
package (I dont remember now), which both are in the multiverse
repository, Zekr also must go to multiverse for Ubuntu.

Do we have the same situation in Debian? Are you sure Zekr will go to
the free repository of Debian?

About license of translations
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Talk:The_Holy_Qur'an#Copyright says:

"For Pickthall the matter is easy. He was English throughout his life.
He died in 1936. English law applies. His work retains copyright
protection until the end of 2006.

For Yusuf Ali the matter is a little more confused. He was born in
Bombay and died in London in 1952, but most of his work was done in
Lahore. I would suggest that this implies that Pakistani law should be
applicable. In principal Pakistan follows the Berne Convention rule that
copyright expires fifty years after the death of the author. This means
that this translation went into the public domain at the end of 2002."

Also Shakir's translation in quite old:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammed_Habib_Shakir
"Mohammed Habib Shakir, (1866, Cairo-1939, Cairo)"

We believe these 3 translations are in the Public Domain.

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/16955
described them as Not copyrighted in the United States.

The Ubuntu MOTUs told me that wiki is not reliable enough, so we changed
the license of the translation to "not permitted to distribute for
commercial purposes" as
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/qmtintro.html , from which the
translations were originally downloaded, had described their license.

Is there any possibility to consider these translations in the Public
Domain for uploading to Debian, since all the above evidence stress they
are?

Best,
Mohammad