Re: Arabbix

--- Mohammed Sameer <uniball at gmx dot net> wrote:
> Now arabbix - with all my full respect to anmar - is somehow buggy, outdated
> and sure it needs more work, Why not takeover the project ? Simply, I can't,
> from a technical point of view, Arabbix which is based on morphix is using
> cloop filesystem, I simply can't generate the cloop file because I don't
> have enough memory to do this, And I won't buy a 512 MB RAM for my laptop
> just to do it, I tried but the system crashed.

We all know Arabbix's short-falls and its less than stellar development
cycle(s) - but that will all change inshalla soon (more below).

BTW: if you need more memory, don't hesitate to ask (make sure to
     let us know the make/model of your laptop).

> If we bypass this point, The arabbix production procedure is simply
> unknown to me, I'll have to sit down, and try to figure out all the
> things I need, So why not build it from scratch ?

That is one of the key problems with Arabbix - it was meant to serve
as an educational tool, yet it seems far from it.  One of Arabbix's main
goals seems to have been forgotten (again soon to be remedied :-)

As for building from scratch and/or going down a different path, I don't
think many would argue with you given its founded on a solid foundation
and is documented to the hilt.  In short, future versions of Arabbix don't
have to be based on morphix per se - so its all a question of finding what
is best and what suites one's needs and desires.

> I can cooperate with the LLUG guys, but abdo told me yesterday that he
> can only send me a CD, I can't download the ISO due to technical things
> in Lebanon.

I've had a number of conversations with Jad (a .lb LUG member) and he is
very much in support of some cooperative development which I very much
encourage and implore.  The more involvement from others we have the better
off everyone is - such a move is the "right"(tm) direction to move in.

> On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 11:02:28AM +0100, Muhammad Alkarouri wrote:
> >  --- Mohammed Sameer <uniball at gmx dot net> wrote:

[snip snip]

> > Does 'based on LFS' means you are more happy with it, in terms of
> > skills, Mohammed?
>
> Sure no, Only Debian || Mandrake can satisfy me, And Only Debian if I'll be
> the one building it :-)

Perfect, we really very much wanted Arabbix to be debian based - so there
is a very important commonality here :-)

News Update !!!

After various talks with people on IRC, Anmar (per the homepage news item)
has decided to transfer maintainership of Arabbix to M.Sameer (aka Uniball)
with full blessings.  So all the above points are now even more relevant
than ever and hopefully they will serve well in defining a more cohesive
and refined role for how Arabbix is to grow.  M.Sameer, do please let us
know of your vision and plans when you feel ready enough to do so...

M.Sameer, Mabrook - its all yours now ya za3eem :-)