Re: Amr Khaled and Linux

--- Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir at arabeyes dot org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 00:43, Ali Echihabi wrote:
> > Salam everyone !
> >

> > I have a project proposal.
> >

> > http://aix2.uottawa.ca/~aechi061/LinuxHayat.html
> >

> > Please visit the page above and let me know what you think.
> >

> I am sorry, but after digging up a little bit, I have come across a
> rather disturbing page [1]. Please do not attempt to promote racist
> projects on our mailing-lists.
>
> Thank you.
>
> [1]

http://www.amrkhaled.net/projects/index.php?action=viewprojectdetails&projectid=22

I think what Mohammed meant to say is (and I agree with him but I'm saying this
in a more diplomatic tone) this sort of comment (the one about creating some
sort of database under the pretext of "إعرف عدوك") speaks ill of the
level of professionalism of the Khwarezmi project. If the contributors to the
Khwarezmi project wish to promote a computer environment tailored for the
Arabic user, they should stay focused on that goal, and not get side-tracked by
religio-political beliefs which some may relate to and some may not.

Lets face it, we are an open source project that requires help from other open
source projects. We cannot afford to be associated with a project that wants to
create the database mentioned in that page. If someone from Debian or KDE or
some other project were to see a link between us and such a project, we will
lose a lot of PR points.

So in other words, for us to cooperate, we must make sure the project we are
associating with is not promoting any form of racism, sectism, political
alignment or anything of that ilk. We simply want to promote first and foremost
the Arabic language. We can cooperate with other projects as long as we have
confidence in that project's professionalism. I am sorry to say that what is on
that page is not professional.

In all the above statements I am not speaking in the name of Arabeyes nor
drawing on its rules and policies, but stating my own personal opinion, and
what I think would be in line with Arabeyes rules and policies, from my own
knowledge and experience.

Salam,

Abdulaziz,