Re: Arabbix

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 11:02:28AM +0100, Muhammad Alkarouri wrote:
>  --- Mohammed Sameer <uniball at gmx dot net> wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 10:54:25PM -0700, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> [...]
> > > As has been noted there are a number of "Arabic" Live-CD efforts out there
> > > without any mutual coordination - I, personally, think that is a bit of a
> > > waste.  I would have suggested (and I have mind you :-) that some
> > commonality
> > > be established so that everyone can benefit and then have the various
> > efforts
> > > veer into their own "specialty" (arabic-centric, more/less eye-candy, just
> > > a demo, less GUI, etc).
>
> We need that, yes.
>
> > > Thoughts/Opinions/Directions ?
>
> Just remember. You asked for it;)
>
> > Well, All what I can say is why I'm building the CD.
> > We at eglug.org frequently need to demonstrate the GNU/Linux Arabic desktop
> > and/or arabeyes.org efforts, Everytime we search for a live CD to fullfill
> > this purpose - And this happened the last week -, But we simply don't find
> > any CD except arabbix, Now arabbix - with all my full respect to anmar - is
> > somehow buggy, outdated and sure it needs more work, Why not takeover the
> > project ? Simply, I Can't, from a technical point of view, Arabbiix which is
> > based on morphix is using cloop filesystem, I simply can't generate the cloop
> > file because I don't have enough memory to do this, And I won't buy a 512 MB
> > RAM for my laptop just to do it, I tried but the system crashed.
> > If we bypass this point, The arabbix production procedure is simply unknown
> > to me, I'll have to sit down, and try to figure out all the things I need, So
> > why not build it from scratch ?
>
> Clearly demonstrated is the need to have a Linux Live CD, immediately. I added
> immediately because we all feel the need. But I understand that Mohammed needs
> it now, and is willing to do something for that.
> But I think building from scratch is a bit too much, if we can do it in less
> effort/time using Arabbix. Unfortuanately, this is a big if.
> With the situation currently standing, probably we need to have a confirmation
> that Arabbix is not dead, rather than otherwise.

I agree here.

> > Why not base it on phaeronix <www.phaeronix.net> ? Phaeronix is based on LFS,
> > And the guy is using rox for the desktop, I don't think that I like rox, I'll
> > be using gnome and NOT kde because gnome is - thanks Arafat - 100%
> > translated. And I don't have the time to compile from source.
>
> Does 'based on LFS' means you are more happy with it, in terms of skills,
> Mohammed?

Sure no, Only Debian || Mandrake can satisfy me, And Only Debian if I'll be the one building it :-)
Look, I may bug Islam - The guy behind phaeronix - And He may add gnome and the Arabic locale files, This'll be OK. But, He won't be available as he used to be the next year, I don't think I'll be happy maintaining an LFS system myself, Yes I do help the guy with testing, And giving him some small ideas regarding the hardware things, Writing a patch for an app "one of them is the patch that adds bidi/shaping to openbox <http://www.foolab.org/node/view/64> though it's still alpha and I can't find time to farther develop it", But he is still the guy behind it.

> > Now tell me what am I supposed to do ? ;-)
>
> The one thing you should _not_ do is make another LiveCD distro which you
> manage and are an expert in all by your self, and then I and then another, till
> we reach Arabbix XIV or something.

This is what happens everytime:
* guys, we have a siminar/conference tomorrow/the day after tomorrow/next week.
* great, what'll we be demonstrating ?
* GNU/Linux of course, And the Arabic desktop with the arabeyes applications.
* Great, So we need a live CD, Let's see what we have: knoppix, MandrakeMove, Phaeronix ?
* Arabbix too, But it's old :(
* damn, ok we'll have 2 or 3 copies for ppl asking for it, but we'll tell them that it's old and outdated.

The 2nd part of the Egyptian FOSS conference <http://www.eglug.org/conference> Is this week, I'm not sure whether we'll give another presentation as we did the last week, But I'm sure that the CD won't be there, But something must be there to depend on.
I have the basic system running, I need to get the gnome 2.6 locale files from the CVS and put them, some final tweaks for the CD itself and the hardware detection itself, And the alpha'll be out. I can stop anytime and join any other efforts, Just tell me :-)

> btw, what is the east asian language in the phaeronix page?

donno, I'm CC'ing him this email ;-)

--
-- Katoob Main Developer