Re: bidi text printing

Meaning, if we work on any external project all our efforts should go
into making sure that our work will ultimately end-up in the application
in question.  For instance PuTTY (since you are involved in it), we want
to make sure that any and all of our work will end-up back into PuTTY
official source code so that it will stay there for the duration of that
application's life.  In other words, we don't want to create forks and/or
mimic other applications - we should get our work ingrained into the
application in question.  Doing external filtering and such is OK as an
interim (ie. temporary) solution, but whatever is needed to get Arabic
to function properly should be part of the applications main source tree.

I tried awhile back and it didn't work - its been 1.5 years though.

Sure, get the fonts then silly :-)  I don't remember the issues involved
with regards to the fonts - but feel free to ask, I'm sure someone will
have ideas.

Why do I get the feeling you are not interested in doing this ;-)
Alas, its a major area in need of looking into by anyone (newbie
or otherwise).

Salam..

- Nadim

with a program like paps ( check the post by dov) and most programs printing... is it important to have lp, lpr shape and bidi arabic text. even though i could get a program like paps to convert the text to .ps with 1 command..?

im new to linux (so go easy on me) and i cant understand the need
for such a primitive application like 'lp' needing to address
international issues, if it can be done by using a higher level format...

ak.