Re: Fixing the Arabic keyboard in xorg/xfree86

On Yaum al-Ahad 23 Jumaada al-Awal 1425 10:29 pm, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004, Munzir Taha wrote:
> > On Yaum al-Jumma 21 Jumaada al-Awal 1425 07:00 pm, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> >
> > I doubt that there is a national standard keyboard for arabic. Can you or
> > any one else help me to got that info.
>
> You mean in the 11 countries, none of them has a keyboard
> standard?

What's a standard?! Something to eat?
Seriously, if there is a standard it is the one set by M$. People here use
winbows in most parts. Can we say this is the standard? Or do you mean
something put by governmental agencies? If any one here knows about such
standards and who define them please talk.

> > > This key better left untouched.
> >
> > But I have alreay mapped the bar to the BKSL key which I believe is the
> > standard
> >       key <BKSL> { [  backslash, bar            ]       };
> > This is also not in your ir keyboard! Is it only we who believe in broken
> > bars as a good thing? ;)
>
> I don't quite understand what you mean.  No we don't have it in
> our 'ir' keyboard, because we don't assign any Persian symbols to
> that key, so we leave it untouched.

I meant exactly what you said. We also don't have it in our 'ar' keyboard (I
just checked my keyboard for a key with a keycode 94 but not any), because we
don't assign any Arabic symbols to that key, so we better leave it
untouched which means remove it for our definition to let it take its default
value if someone has it.

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club member
Maintainer of the Open Arabic Bugs Project at
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/OpenBugs
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS
New Horizons CLC
Riyadh, SA