Re: Unicode and Bidi vs Shaping

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 04:16:45AM +0330, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

> No, wrong assumption. It's talking about automatically generating texts,
> instead of converting them from something else. For example, consider that
> a program wants to display something in Arabic, and so it automatically
> puts RLE and PDF around that text to make sure it is displayed in proper
> Arabic order, with a base direction of Arabic. Then that Arabic text may
> contain some English phrase that may be inside an LRE..PDF pair itself.
> Now consider that this whole gets cut and pasted somewhere in a bug
> report system in Arabic, with the embeddings automatically copied and a
> LRE..PDF put around the whole thing to make they are displayed the
> same....

I guess I'm also making the assumption that an intelligent text buffer
(in a text editor or otherwise) would remove redundant codes (preceisely
embedding codes).

> > If I understand your paper correctly, you are saying that you should
> > apply the bidi algorithm, short of removing the explicit embedding and
> > overriding codes, shape, then continue.
>
> No, not simply continue, but do Arabic joining/shaping, and then continue
> the rest of Bidi.

That is what I meant by continue (continue the bidi algorithm).

> Sure. But that may take some time, as the UTC members keep some silence
> [..]

Much appreciated ;)

> That'll be the thing that we are going to implement in FriBidi also.

Excellent.

> roozbeh
>
> PS: what's happening with Arabeyes becoming a member of Unicode? I prefer
> not to act as a liaison much more. It takes time, and it ruins
> possiblities to educate an Arab Unicode guru in the meanwhile (which we
> miss).

I think Nadim has replied to this. However, we are trying to do just that
by first registering the project (incorporating it or otherwise).. which
too requires money. However and most importantly, none of us are really
in a stable situation (in terms of geographic location -- we are all
kind of moving around countries right now). So I don't see this happening
until we all settle into wherever we end up (talk about nomadic life ;)

later
---
Was I helpful? Let others know:
http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=elzubeir