Re: katoob is marvelleous but ...

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 02:02:01AM +0300, Munzir Taha Obeid wrote:
> On Saturday 28 June 2003 6:03 pm, Mohammed Sameer wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 04:24:58AM +0300, Munzir Taha Obeid wrote:
> > > The most common convention here is not to put a ... after save but
> > > redirect to Save As when the user invokes save in case the file wasn't
> > > saved before. Check kedit, gedit, nedit, gvim, cooledit, ...
> > > **Another issue here is the dialog box should ask you a question in order
> > > to be eligible for the three dots. I checked menubar.c from CVS and found
> > > you added ... after about which is not correct.
> >
> > I removed the about thing.
> > I'll be working on the save/save as stuff then.
> > it shouldn't take long, but probably it'll end with a rewrite ;-)
> I am not a programmer but  can't you just change the title bar of the save
> dialog box (in case of new files) to say "Save As..." instead of "Please
> select where to save the file". Who can tell whether these are different
> dialog boxes or not.
>

> > rename toolbar to main toolbar ?
> yes, like the Main Toolbar in kate, kwrite, kedit, ...

That's the next thing todo now ;)

> > BTW: you can drop files on katoob to open them "on the toolbar not on
> > the text editing portion"
> I tried to drag a text file made by Katoob itself to the toolbar but nothing
> happened. I only see the "No smoking" sign everywhere I've tried!!
strange!
from where did u drag it ?
it works fine using rox.

> > > maybe, but I don't suggest names like XKB Layout (Sorry Haidar but you
> > > are more or less an expert who can understand such a fuzzy thing). You
> > > can call it Keyboard Layout, anyway, or you can delete it altogether. I
> > > can't see why it's useful to waste the precious space needed in katoob's
> > > toolbar for the keyboard layout which could be set in the panel of the
> > > Desktop on any distro. But the emulator option is of course needed.
> >
> > maybe you are right, But oneday this layout switcher was my only method
> > to change the layout!!
> > if the emulator entries'll stay, Then it won't take extra space.
> you are right so you can keep it but don't forget to make it more user
> friendly and clearer.

Actually i think the better thing is to add all the emulator stuff to an
emulator sub menu.

> > > You asked for it so here is more ;)
> > >
> > > 3. Open katoob. View->Encoding->Arabic->ISO 8859-6 (Arabic), type some
> > > Arabic, View->Encoding->Other->UTF-8. Say yes to the Question Dialog box
> > > and you have the error Invalid byte sequence in conversion input!!
> >
> > That's really intended for those documents piped from the standard
> > input. But for a normal document you shouldn't use this, also for a
> > newly created document.
> > It's a bad thing i know, Perhaps a solution'd be marking the stdin
> > document as so, and allowing the user to only change the encoding
> > od stdin docs. ?
> I agree. The stdin should be in its original encoding. If you can give an
> example of how this feature could be used in a way that if you cancel it we
> would lose something, I would be happy to give my opinion.

no no. I meant that when you pipe a document to katoob, there is no way
to determine its encoding, So katoob use your default encoding.
So you can change it from the encodings menu.

> > > 5. The right-mouse button has no function when clicking the Toolbar. It
> > > should give you some options of customization like the options of View ->
> > > Toolbar.
> >
> > there is, click on an empty space in the toolbar.
> > you should get: "show/hid & view options."
> Yeah! The convention here is to be able to right click anywhere not
> necessarily in an empty space. Think about small resolutions with "Text
> beside icons" option. You can check kwrite to confirm how it looks.

hmmm, I'm afraid that this isn't freandly as it's
packing gtkwidgets into an event box to catch the right click consume
large ammount of CPU.
i'll check and see.

> > > 7. The letter ض cannot be seen neither in the panel or in the title bar.
> > > This should be changed some way.
> >
> > I didn't get this, What panel ?
> > is "the title bar" katoob title bar "which contains the close, minimize,
> > maximize buttons ?"
> yes, at the far left of the title bar "which contains the close, minimize,
> maximize buttons " is a small pic that carries the Arabic letter DHAD which
> represents the logo of the program. You need a magnifying glass to see it. It
> should be maximized a little and made clearer somehow. Check the other
> editors to see how their logos stand out clearly.

That's the size set by Gtk.
though I can increase the "dhad size"

> > > 8. A button for spell checking in the toolbar.
> >
> > I was trying to remember that there should be something missing in the
> > toolbar!
> > but i was thinking about adding it to the extended toolbar.

in the CVS.

> > > 9. Changing the spelling Dictionary after typing makes no effect on the
> > > highlighting of mistyped words. For example, type "center" when the
> > > Dictionary is en_GB. The word will be in red. Now, change it to en_US the
> > > word should be changed to black, and vice versa. Tools -> Spell check
> > > says No mispelled words!!
> >
> > that's ok. recheck the document when you change the dictionary.
> Even if I recheck the document I couldn't see the red color which indicates
> the misspelled word. I don't want to change the word or add it to the
> dictionary. Let me explain it more. Open katoob, change the dictionary to
> en_GB, type center, you will have it in red. Now, change the dictionary to
> en_US, type center again, you will have it in black, right? Isn't it odd to
> have the same word misspelled in a place and correct in another place just a
> space away?!
i meant that i should recheck the document not you!
fixed in the CVS "i hope it won't affect anything else!"

> > > 10. It's funny that the word "mispelled" in the previous dialog box is
> > > misspelled.
> > i don't get it !
> Open katoob, type k, Tools -> Spell Check -> You have a dialog box which says
> "No mispelled words." The word mispelled should have double "s". Isn't it
> funny ;-)
fixed in the CVS.

> > > Thanks a lot for your caring and I am looking forward to see Katoob the
> > > best of the best.
> >
> > Merci :-)
> Keep Mercing and I will keep flooding ;)

> 11. Ctrl+F7 for Spell Check doesn't work.
> 12. Ctrl+Shift+W for Close All doesn't work.
> 13. Open Katoob -> type anything -> Click New to create a new file and type
> anything also, now you have two files open. Documents -> Close All. The
> Cancel button doesn't work.

I'll look into these.

> 14. I downloaded  gtksourceview-0.3.0 from the Internet and installed it in my
> system. Now:
> [munzir at localhost katoob-0.3.4.91]$ ./configure --enable-highlight
> .
> .
> .
> checking for gtksourceview-1.0 >= 0.2... Package gtksourceview-1.0 was not
> found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtksourceview-1.0.pc'
> No package 'gtksourceview-1.0' found
> configure: WARNING: Couldn't find gtksourceview, Highlighting'll be disabled.
>
> Is Katoob checking for a version "gtksourceview-1.0" that not made yet. The
> current is "gtksourceview-0.3.0" or what's happening?
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
./configure --enable-highlight
;)

> Finally, another word of thanks to you, Mohammed, and to all the people who
> made the open source concept come into being. It's Marvelous. Keep on the
> good work and I will keep on the bad work ;-)

it's not bad after all. Think about all the crushed bugs and
improvements and you'll find that you are completing my work :-)

--
-- Katoob Main Developer