Re: katoob is marvelleous but ...

On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 04:24:58AM +0300, Munzir Taha Obeid wrote:
> On Friday 27 June 2003 2:40 pm, Mohammed Sameer wrote:
> > > Just not to let Mohammed Sameer sleep I have two minor notes here:
> > > 1. Three dots (can you see them in the subject ;) ) should appear after
> > > all menu entries that lead to dialog boxes, e.g. Save As...,
> > > Preferences..., Spell Check..., ...
> >
> > Done in the CVS, It'll be available in the next release, But i have a
> > question:
> > what about the menu entries that may lead to dialogs or may not depends
> > on the situation ?
> > ex: the save dialog, May lead to a file selection dialog or may not
> > depending on the buffer "if you have opened a file then there'll not be
> > a dialog, but if you clicked new and then save there'll be a dialog".
> > the revert is the same...
> The most common convention here is not to put a ... after save but redirect to
> Save As when the user invokes save in case the file wasn't saved before.
> Check kedit, gedit, nedit, gvim, cooledit, ...
> **Another issue here is the dialog box should ask you a question in order to
> be eligible for the three dots. I checked menubar.c from CVS and found you
> added ... after about which is not correct.

I removed the about thing.
I'll be working on the save/save as stuff then.
it shouldn't take long, but probably it'll end with a rewrite ;-)

> > > 2. The option on the toolbar (I suggest to call it Standard Toolbar)
> May be Main Toolbar is better to differentiate it from Extended Toolbar.
rename toolbar to main toolbar ?
No problem here.

BTW: you can drop files on katoob to open them "on the toolbar not on
the text editing portion"

> > > which is called "Change the typing language" has three entries: US/ASCII,
> > > arabic, Arabic, what's this?!. Previously it's just English and Arabic
> > > which is very clear.
>
> > The 1st 2 "US/ASCII & Arabic" are the layout obtained from the X server
> > via the xkb extension.
> > While the last one "arabic" is the one used by the emulator.
> Ah! I got it now.
>
> > Do you suggest that the emulator ones be included in a sub menu ?
> maybe, but I don't suggest names like XKB Layout (Sorry Haidar but you are
> more or less an expert who can understand such a fuzzy thing). You can call
> it Keyboard Layout, anyway, or you can delete it altogether. I can't see why
> it's useful to waste the precious space needed in katoob's toolbar for the
> keyboard layout which could be set in the panel of the Desktop on any distro.
> But the emulator option is of course needed.

maybe you are right, But oneday this layout switcher was my only method
to change the layout!!
if the emulator entries'll stay, Then it won't take extra space.

> > Thanks for your suggestions, That's what i'm laking these days.
> You asked for it so here is more ;)
>
> 3. Open katoob. View->Encoding->Arabic->ISO 8859-6 (Arabic), type some Arabic,
> View->Encoding->Other->UTF-8. Say yes to the Question Dialog box and you have
> the error Invalid byte sequence in conversion input!!

That's really intended for those documents piped from the standard
input. But for a normal document you shouldn't use this, also for a
newly created document.
It's a bad thing i know, Perhaps a solution'd be marking the stdin
document as so, and allowing the user to only change the encoding
od stdin docs. ?

> 4. When I start katoob I can't write anything until I use an arrow key or
> click with the mouse button which shouldn't be the case. Afterall, I have
> started katoob to write, isn't it?
Fixed in the CVS.

> 5. The right-mouse button has no function when clicking the Toolbar. It should
> give you some options of customization like the options of View -> Toolbar.

there is, click on an empty space in the toolbar.
you should get: "show/hid & view options."

> 6. The tab key is not working properly. Open Katoob, press Tab and type "k",
> look at the status bar, it says C:3, Press "Enter", type "space" and write
> "k", the status bar says C:3. They should be aligned together if both are
> C:3. Tab should not work like space.
Fixed in the CVS.

> 7. The letter ض cannot be seen neither in the panel or in the title bar. This
> should be changed some way.

I didn't get this, What panel ?
is "the title bar" katoob title bar "which contains the close, minimize,
maximize buttons ?"

> 8. A button for spell checking in the toolbar.

I was trying to remember that there should be something missing in the
toolbar!
but i was thinking about adding it to the extended toolbar.

> 9. Changing the spelling Dictionary after typing makes no effect on the
> highlighting of mistyped words. For example, type "center" when the
> Dictionary is en_GB. The word will be in red. Now, change it to en_US the
> word should be changed to black, and vice versa. Tools -> Spell check says No
> mispelled words!!

that's ok. recheck the document when you change the dictionary.

> 10. It's funny that the word "mispelled" in the previous dialog box is
> misspelled.
i don't get it !
> تلك عشرة كاملة

> Thanks a lot for your caring and I am looking forward to see Katoob the best
> of the best.

Merci :-)

--
-- Katoob Main Developer