Re: VIM Arabic Patch and Hindi number

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 12:34:15 +0200
 "Isam Bayazidi" <bayazidi at arabeyes dot org> wrote:

>         - VIM uses the Hindi digits ( Used in Arabic countries) and saves
> them to memory and disk .. that is because the keymap file is the one
> responsable for returning the code of the Hindi Digit .. I suggest having
> the numbers stored in the memory and file as they are always are in the
> ASCII code of it, and make showing the Hindi Digit part of the shaping ..
> meaning that the digit '1' that have the code of 0x031 , but when it is
> shaped, and we are in the 'arabic' mode ( 'set arabic' is on), then '1'
> will be shown as 0x0661 , and that is the Hindi Digit of '1' .. Now why
> I think it should be that way, because infact, the Hindi digits represent
> the Numbers the same way the Arabic digits do.. and making them have
> unified memory/disk representation will ease up searching/replacing and
> any other operations that find numbers.
>
> NOTE:   Hindi  Digits are       : ( Ù¡ Ù¢ Ù£ Ù¤ Ù¥ Ù¦ Ù§ Ù¨ Ù© Ù  )
>         Arabic Digits are       : (  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 )

Isam, we've been through this before.  If you'd like to switch between
the two different digits, simply switch between the two modes (Arabic/English)
to get whichever digit you like.  Adding a non-standard "anything" due to
preference is __never__ good.

>         - Another Question that I had, I know that VIM has it's own Keymap
> files, but as X have the keymaps defined (in xkb) the keymap in VIM will
> not be as needed , right ? besides, if we keep the X keymap file the
> centralized place for the keymap issues that will ease up any fix/updates
> that we may do in the future.

I really don't know about this, but I can say that all the other languages
have the same setup that Arabic now does (with Arabeyes' patch) in VIM.
I'm sure that the other languages must have dealt with locale and we'll
follow suite once there.

Sorry.

> I had been using VIM in Arabic for the past 1-2 months, and I can say that
> it is the best thing that happened for the past 6 months :-) I am using it
> for all the Arabic editing I need .. and it is GREAT :-) the one 'already
> known' missing point is the BIDI .. and I hope that Bram will consider it
> soon..

I don't think Bram will look at it anytime soon (or ever if you read
between the lines), so its upto us (and whomever else would like to see
Bidi included).  I haven't had much time to look into it, but its not as
simply as having 2-3 calls (I believe there is great complexity on the VIM
side - as noted I haven't looked at it yet, but how will search highlighting
work, how will search replace need to be modified, etc, etc, etc -- there
ARE lots of gotchas).

Yousof Mortazavi (yousof at engsoc dot org) had noted looking into Bidi &
VIM, I hope there's been some progress in this regard; Yousof ?