Re: [I18n]Re: XLFD subsetting and bdftruncate

I see. Well, in that case, would you entertain adding a 10x20full font
file that does NOT get truncated, as an option? I think that would be
the simplest/fastest solution. In the long run, of course we would like
to see everything migrate to use the Xft library interface.

This would satisfy everyone who gets affected by the truncation (seeing
that it certainly is not just Arabic that suffers).

Thanks.

"Moe Elzubeir" wrote on 2002-01-22 17:08 UTC:
> The subsetting system is in place already, so now what?

I still have not fully understood, what exactly is in place
and how well does it work in X11R6. For example

  xfd -fn
'-Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-SemiCondensed--13-*-75-75-C-*-ISO10646-1[0_0xff]'

works (and returns just the Latin-1 part of the Unicode font) but then

  xfd -fn
'-Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-SemiCondensed--13-120-75-75-C-60-ISO10646-1[0_0xff]'

does *NOT* work and returns (when no bdftruncate is used) the full >700
kilobyte large XFontStruct that we fear so much.

What is going on here? I suspect nothing has actually changed since I
did my tests a few years ago, it is just that Juliusz's example XLFDs
contained wildcards at the right place, whereas I always used the full
XLFD as it stands in the BDF file. What difference does that make
in the font mechanics of the X server?

This is getting stranger and stranger and before we start to rely on the
subsetting, I strongly suggest that someone looks into what exactly of
it works to properly get it documented first. Or eliminate what might
just be a bug, namely that subsetting only works with enough wildcards.

Markus

--
Mrkus G. Kuhn, Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge, UK