Re: VIM Arabic Patch and Hindi number

--- "Chahine M. Hamila"  wrote:
> Mohammed Elzubeir wrote:

> > > not all Arab countries. All countries of the Maghreb use Arabic digits.
> >
> > Hindi digits should NOT be used in any Arabic localization effort.(...)
> > Hindi numbers should be an OPTION, and not a default.
>
> I'm glad to hear some non Maghrebi countries are moving in that direction as
> well...

Keep in mind that "our" preference is one thing and what is considered to
be standard numbers for Arabic is yet another (what does the UN or unicode
or the 3rd grade in tunis/egypt/iraq/uae/yemen consider to be arabic numbers).
I'm of the opinion that these "hindi" numbers ought to be the default which
people can opt not to use - similar in how people have opted and adopted
western month names (convenience doesn't constitute language default though).
To have Arabic programs default to "non-hindi" (those you see on you english
keyboard now) doesn't seem right, for that would mean that one has to trigger
yet another option to enable what is legally considered to the norm (by our
grandparents and grandchildren alike).

For more discussion/flames on this, maybe we should take it off-line.