Re: xfree86 font issue

--- "Chahine M. Hamila" <mch at chaham dot com> wrote:
> Hey!

> It seems font subsetting is already implemented, and it seems the bdftruncate
> stuff is still left there only because they feel better with it when it comes
> to their legacy clients.
>
> http://www.xfree86.org/pipermail/i18n/2002-January/002799.html
>
> That leaves us with only two choices:
> 1) convince them to integrate a glyph file of ours, that we'd use for
> rendering glyphs.
> 2) consider that every box that will need Arabic under X will use Pango

I think #2 is there already (if you want Pango, go download pango & it will
come with all Gnome 2+ anyways -- no added value from our part), so my strong
vote is for #1 (it opens more doors for all arabs, and gives us more options).

If what is being said is true in terms of "subsetting" being already
implemented, then #1 should not be that great of an issue and we MUST get
Roozbeh involved to push this through.