Re: Discussing Hayder's Proposal

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 20:42:57 +0200
 "Isam Bayazidi" <bayazidi at accessme dot com> wrote:

> > Well those that I found interesting :
> > * Arabic text rendering and hijry date library depends only on
> >     standard C++ libraries.
>
> I really don't know who other than Saudi's use hijry.. I know I don't. Never
> did in Bahrain. Don't intend to. Don't think it's even close to a priority.

There is value in having hijri, irrespective of the small/large amount of
people using it.

> > Anther issue .. is that when hosting the Hayder projects in Arabeyes that
> > may need an upgrade for the Arabeyes hardware and maybe connection .. what
> > do you think Moe ? would that be necessary ?
>
> It is not 'necessary'.. but w/ enough donations we just might ;)

We need to talk about the donations issue (now that its online). We need
to get the word out there (that $10 ain't gonna cut it - I'm planning to
donate about $100, but I want to use it to our advantage in getting the
word out - ie. use it as a ploy :-).

> > > As far as I understand, anything he will put on our CVS will be GPL'ed
> > > _or_ HPL (Haydar Public License). As per my last conversation w/ him, the
> > > only difference between the two is a clause (or a few) that say something
> > > to the effect of no exports to .il, etc. Which, I have no issues w/
> > > whatsoever.
> >
> > Again, Before going on, I guess that we should ask him to provide us with
> > his HPL .. and I do not agree on such a license, and to involve Arabeyes in
> > it would not be smart .. as far as I can recall Arabeyes stayed politics
> > free, and it should .. I would personally use HPL software, but I would not
> > host it, and sponsor it, and offer it in Arabeyes .. Lets stay away from
> > such licenses that give a political stand ..
>
> Hrmm. To be honset w/ you, this is a sensitive issue. While we would rather
> stay away from politics and all the other crap that comes along with it.
> Perhaps we can say, if we are contributing CODE to one of those projects,
> then it cannot be under such a license. However, if there is code that we
> are NOT contributing to, and simply mirroring, etc. then it is okay. At
> least, that's how I thought of it.
>
> I don't want to discourage such actions, while I understand that we want to
> stay away from such controversy. I don't know.

I really think we should look into VIM's license and try to do something
similar to it (instead of alienating bastards and oppressors, lets help
those that need it by raising awareness - think positive, NOT negative).
I'm thinking something along the lines of putting into words the humanitarian
needs of various regions in the world (strictly on humanitarian needs; which
we can change from project to project to note various regions in the world
and include a URL or two of organizations that help in those regions.)

Furthermore, I have two concerns with all this Haydar biz,

1. He wants his name on everything - ego issue and possible future problems ?
   I know it might be innocent, but you gotta wonder (if I were to do a linux
   distro I would never think to put 'nadim' on it - even though I realize
   that both nadim & haydar are not so common names).

2. He, I hope, realizes that others WILL use his work to create their own
   distribution (even if we don't touch the files he uploads) - its noted
   between the lines on that file we sent (more so in the new view_partner
   file - I will make it very obvious next); I would be more comfortable if
   we noted that outright to him - again so that there are no surprises.