Re: [general] New Arabeyes Drupal Website

[snips]
On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 09:03:25AM +0200, Mohamed Farag wrote:
> Should we install Version 6 and use the Arabic files made available for 6.3 (that are originally for 5.9)?
> Or should we go with the older version of Drupal (V. 5.9) with its
> Arabic language files that is stable and tested? just to be practical?

I'd go for 5.x for now but for different reasons:
1) CCK and views for drupal 6 are still RC. The final releases are not there yet. I doubt you
will build a serious website without them unless you are going to do all the custom content types
and views manually which is wrong IMHO.
2) Drupal.org is not yet using drupal 6 for the above reason. If you feel brave enough to use
Drupal 6 for arabeyes while drupal.org is not using it yet then I'm sorry but I'll start
campaigning to prevent you from doing the new arabeyes website (Really sorry for being rude)

> Third:
> For Djihad: What exactly do you need in the prototype?
> Also, do you mean a working install of the CMS, but not fully filled with data and stuff..or just homepage design under drupal?

Just because I tried doing this before and failed because no one knew exactly what is needed.
I'll give me 0.02e:

* A basic multilingual installation with the default drupal theme (Garland).
* A news content type, This is used to submit news. Ignore the categories for now as they are
  drupal taxonomy terms.
* A page content type. This will be used for static pages.
* A list of all members (Ignore active or not now).
* Each member should have a profile page pretty similar to what we have currently.
* Projects:
  - This can be a simple content type or we can use the standard projects module (Will not play with svn).
  - Each project should have a URL alias, a name, about, logo, data, status (How to update it ? Automatically (There's a CCK field that I can't remember its name ATM) or manually ?. Coordinator and contributers (user reference CCK field), date, logo (Image field) and various other fields (Not a big issue with CCK).

Things I'm not sure about:
* A place to aggregate svn commit and maybe show which commits belong to which user ?
  For svn, we have to use the version control API module and its svn backend (Needs php5)/
* Will we need books ? (Manifesto, various guides which have a hierarchy)
* How to handle the donations ?
* Replace planet.arabeyes.org with a drupal aggregator ?
* How to handle sub projects ? I can't recall all the modules but they were not clean.
* A FAQ section ?

> I will also need to have contact with Daif to arrange our work on this project. Then we can give an expected deadline for the prototype.

Count me in. It might be the only serious thing I'll do for arabeyes.

Not to step over your feet but I'd say a week for all the above notes (Without the theme) ;-)
But that's just me, a hopeless geek who has no social life and can dedicate a reasonable time span each day.

Cheers,

--
GPG-Key: 0xA3FD0DF7 - 9F73 032E EAC9 F7AD 951F  280E CB66 8E29 A3FD 0DF7
Debian User and Developer.