Re: WinSCP translation again

--- Abdulaziz Al-Arfaj <aalarfaj at gmail dot com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 S.K. <moon_lightin at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> [...]
> > WinSCP3 is mentioned in Arabeyes Todo list.... It is said that Arabic
> > support(UTF-8) needs to be added...but I am only working on the translation
> > of the application (using Windows Code Page 1256)...it doesn't support
> > UTF-8 yet...maybe in the future..
>
> My mistake. I never noticed it there. Granted that todo list has many
> items that are very old and probably shouldnt be there.

No, WinSCP should very much be there (just like PuTTY was/is).  The idea
is that you want people using windows to be able to reasonable interface
to linux and see/use Arabic.  So this is not a windows issue as much as
it is creating a means to migrate and use linux and being sane about what
is expected.

> Regarding the Arabeyes todo, I _THINK_ that its talking about the
> support of UTF-8 in filenames. As far as I can tell WinSCP already
> supports that. Not sure why the application itself is not supported.

The support noted is for a newer version of FTP.  What is needed is being
able to start WinSCP and actually "see" properly Arabic filenames instead
of the current strange soup of characters that are shown.  You'd want the
WinSCP user to be able to read and select Arabic filenames without issue
and for that you need UTF-8 support within the WinSCP GUI itself.

I'm not sure why WinSCP is lagging on this front (I would have also thought
that windows provides all the necessary hooks to make this rather easy),
but I gather that not enough people are _really_ voicing their need for
this and maybe a mass mailing to the application's author might help.
Note that UTF-8 support (in the GUI) was voted as the #2 most needed item
on WinSCP's site a few months ago.