Re: Questions about xchat (LOADS...)

Salam,

(Sorry for the late answer)

On Sunday 09 May 2004 00:56, Abdulaziz Al-Arfaj wrote:

[...]

> 1. Nearly 20% of the msgids in this file look like
> this:
> COMMAND <argument1> <argument2> blah blah blah.
> ...Here <arguments> are no tags, but examples, so they
> should be translated, but when I do they become RTL
> and that messes up their correct order! What should I
> do?

I think <argument*> should indeed be translated. I would not care about RTL
problems for now.

> 2. How should I transliterate Xchat? Xشات? Xدردشة?
> دردشةX? Suggestions?

The app names should not be translated. They should rather be transliterated:
إكس تشات ? ;)

> 3. What do you think of تقييدات as a translation for
> bindings? Isn't it better than the grossly worn out
> روابط?

No opinion really...

> 4. Should I translate non-words like stdin and stdout
> and stderr etc.. or leave them as is?

Hmm. I guess it depends on the context... Can you give examples ?

> 5. Do we use a current term for recursion? I like
> عوديّة as I read it somewhere (probably a magazine)
> but I can't remember where exactly.

My ALECSO dictionary says: معاودة، تكرار...

> 6. I get really confused about definite/indefinite
> form. Do we have a hard n fast rule for it? What I
> mean is how can I know if "connection" is إتّصال or
> الإتّصال?

This is a reccurrent issue... Don't know what to say. I guess the easier in
this case is to see the app running live with Arabic translation and decide
what to use where... Sorry for the unclear answer.

Salam,

- --
Youcef R. Rahal
Arabeyes.org