Re: Humble contribution to Wordlist

--- Ahmad Al-rasheedan <asr at baldi dot cc> wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 January 2004 22:53, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
>
> > Maybe those words are simply not worth the effort then - I mean if
> > you are having that much difficulty with them maybe we should relegate
> > them to yet another lower priority list simply to make more progress
> > on the easier words.  Thoughts ?
>
> Being the mortal that introduced those words to the project, I regret
> to say it was a bad choice and sorry for not investigating the worthiness
> of the words before committing time and effort. I vote low priority.

Noted.  Are there terms there that are easily recognized as "bad" or
"worthless" ?  If so, could we remove 'em ?

> I used ',' through out all my multiples:) It should be easy to replace them
> with '::' once we decide to go over them from the start.

Let me know if you need a script to help you out.

> I just tried it. Since I don't have to Shift-Ctrl to type '::', I am fine
> with it. Try to lookup 'Abandon' after a server reload tomorrow. I changed
> the translation layout to the proposed.

Nothing will be different just yet - you will see those '::' in the
translation until I modify QaMoose to replace 'em with the appropriate
"-or-" or carriage return or whatever comes to mind (it's an easy string
to search for to know something new is coming).

> Before the coordinator can say 'Go', he needs to know the head count.
> I am in as mortal, carbon based translator be it finish new_words
> or ditch new_words in favor of fancy golden files.

Let's forgo any single person dictating what the group will do ;-) and
come to an agreement between those that are working on the project
(consensus and buy-in is best given all are reasonable, understandable
people - which most here are :-).

--- Ossama Khayat <okhayat at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> --- Ahmad Al-rasheedan <asr at baldi dot cc> wrote:
> > Being the mortal that introduced those words to the
> > project, I regret
> > to say it was a bad choice and sorry for not
> > investigating the worthiness
> > of the words before committing time and effort. I
> > vote low priority.
>
> No sir. I've worked on about 100 words of those, and
> though they are really tough that I couldn't do more
> than about 50 a day (one hour or so a day), but still
> I believe this what makes our 'Golden Wordlist' worth
> it.

How about this, let's have Ossama work on the "troublesome" :-)
'new_word' files while Ahmad can continue on the multi translations
on the wordlist.

> I would say days per number of words, as words/file
> vary and so is difficulty.

Noted.

> I was thinking, why don't you work on the multiple
> translation part, while I concentrate on new words? I
> think this way you'll produce more output and we can
> devide the word equally on new_words as well as
> existing words that need more translations. Just my
> 2c...

I like this idea too.

> I agree on '::' as well.

OK, '::' it is then.  We'll need to use '::' as a delimiter for
multi-meanings for terms.  Again if a script is needed to replace
whatever was used before, let me know.

> 1. I don't really understand how can I say I have a
> new release. I mean based on what? Number of new
> words, job done, or what? Can you please enlight me on
> this one.

This is not based on any empirical data, its a goal we set and
release once we reach it.  Whatever goal you guys are comfortable
with by April 30th is fine by me.  What would you like to set
that goal at (10/20/50% of new_terms done + 10/20/50% of golden
terms having been inspected for multi-translations) ?

--- Ahmad Al-rasheedan <asr at baldi dot cc> wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 January 2004 00:00, Ossama wrote:
> > I was thinking, why don't you work on the multiple
> > translation part, while I concentrate on new words?
>
> I could dear Osama but rest assured it won't be as
> fun or as fast when 2 do the task. Competition on the job
> is an essential component of humans hence productivity.

OK, we're in the process of talking to a group that might come
in and help on this project (its not set in stone yet).  Ahmad,
how about Mr. Yasser Chaddad coming back to help (sorry Yasser
to keep ping-ponging you around - just thinking out loud).

Are there others on the list what are willing to help ?  ANYONE ???