Re: core list going public

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 12:39:15AM +0100, Chahine M. Hamila wrote:

> Believe me, it is not, not at all, it'll give the public a sense of right on
> core's decisions. Believe me, you are calling for a mess, I am talking out of
> experience in things that involved even far more means than this.

They _should_ have a right on 'core's decisions. Core is there to serve
the public, not itself.. so in a sense, not giving them that window
would be cheating them out of their right that we so have expressed.

> transparency at the same level. Transparency between different levels of
> decisions are not a good idea, it can be very much the opposite. Arabeyes
> needs management, it's not just about developing and localizing unless you
> never want it to grow.

It most certainly does need management. That's why we are working on
this charter business ;) That doesn't mean that the left hand shouldn't
know what the right is doing, until it's said and done.

> For what benefit? Let's not talk out of ideologies but be pragmatic. Think of
> what you would gain out of it, and what would you lose.

It helps in two main ways:

1. Allows observers to see how progress is made (incentive for
   engagement in the project by seeing activity)
2. Gives the volunteers the window to watch how the project is being
   managed, and even give some input.

Of course that is not to say that the 'core' list would not be
moderated.. but there is always a chance someone has a brilliant idea
that none of us had.. it's worth allowing that person to epxress their
opinion before a decision is made.

later