Re: Questions about yeh, hamzah on yeh, alef maksura and dotless ba

On Tuesday 03 January 2006 16:52, Mohammed Yousif wrote:

> > There is one little thing that might need some consideration. There is
> > one occurance on Madinah Mushaf of hamza sitting on top of small alef,
> > in sura 2, aya 72. The above rules might explains it. I was wondering
> > initially, why this aya uses hamza on small alef, why not just plain
> > hamza isolated? From the above rules, I think, if the hamza were
> > suppose to be there, then the chair should be there as well. However,
> > since the chair has been deleted, I don't know for what reason, and
> > the hamza still needs a chair, then they decided that small alef is
> > the one to be the chair. That is just my theory. Anyone can confirm
> > this? How is this aya being written in other mushaf?
>
> Mushaf Al-Haramain (from Al-Shamarly printing house, the very first to
> print the Qur'an which gained a lot of respect from Hoffaaz that they
> call it Omdaat Al-Masahef "The boss of Masaahef. If you must :-") has the
> this written with a SmallAlef as a chair.
>
> Attached is a screenshot from Mushaf Al-Haramain.
>
> But my Mushaf doesn't have the SmallAlef.
>
> Anyway, the most accurate and correct one (w.r.t Rasm Science) would be
> Mushaf Al-Haramain.
>
> The past tense verb of this word is درأ as can be found in the Moagam.
> (Dal,Reh,Alef,HamzaAbove) which suggests that the Hamza is really on
> a chair(Alef) not isolated.
> That explains why the Hamza here has a SmallAlef as a chair.
> The thing is that the chair of Hamza here is an Alef which got removed
> from Rasm as you said and had been replaced by a SmallAlef (which proves
> my point that SmallAlef is not a mark logically attached to the previous
> letter and has nothing to do with it).
>
> But why it's not there on my Mushaf? Maybe it's another alternative or
> maybe it's a Rasm error in my Mushaf. I think we should see other Masahef
> and consult a Rasm science scholar.

Attached is another screenshot for the same word from a Warsh Mushaf
published by Dar Al-Jeel and approved by Al-Azhar.

Here a regular Alef is used as a seat for the Hamza which again means that
there is really an Alef there.
It hasn't been omitted in this Mushaf for some reason but other Masahef
omitted it and replaced it by a SmallAlef.

I now began to believe that there is a Rasm error in my Mushaf (which has the
Hamza without a seat). It has been also approved by Al-Azhar. Maybe they
didn't catch that error at Al-Azhar or maybe (most probably) that Alef is not
important because (maybe) the original collected Mushaf doesn't have it and
thus is not considered a Rasm error.

--
Mohammed Yousif
Egypt

"قال قائل منهم إني كان لي قرين. يقول أءنك لمن المصدقين. أءذا متنا وكنا تراباً
وعظاماً أءنا لمدينون. قال هل أنتم مطلعون. فاطلع فرءاه في سواء الجحيم. قال
تالله إن كدت لتردين. ولولا نعمة ربي لكنت من المحضرين"  (من القرءان الكريم)