Re: Approaching the distros project in a better way

--- Muhammad Alkarouri <malkarouri at yahoo dot co dot uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 19:11, Munzir Taha wrote:
> >
> > http://wiki.arabeyes.org/OpenBugs
> >
> > http://wiki.arabeyes.org/SaisApps
>
> I was thinking of a suggestion on the following lines:
> - The main and active pages should be the SAIS apps page and the
> OpenBugs page. The SAIS apps page should be a summary of what apps we
> need and what are their status. The status can be actually known from
> the OpenBugs page, but this can be a short summary.
> - If somebody wants to make a distro document, it can be more in a
> how-to style, in terms of writing it for a user to use. This will also
> highlight the main problems with the distro.
> - Still, in the OpenBugs page, we will need links to the distro's bugs
> (which is already there) because some distros introduce bugs not
> existing in the main product (notably Red Hat), and because there are
> sometimes programs that are related to special distros, like d-i,
> anaconda, YAST, etc.

Sounds good to me - "make it so" :-)  I would also suggest you keep in
mind the potential distro maintainer himself/herself looking at these
links (and thus docs) to know what they need to add/concentrate to know
how best to add Arabic support (we'd like to at some point mail the various
distros and say "hey, look at this link/doc to know how best to address our
needs and how best to support us").  In short, there are 2 very distinct
goals we were after,

 1. To inform the end-user (or even developer) of Arabic support in
    various applications and various distros (ie "I'm new to Linux which
    distro has the best Arabic support")

 2. To inform the distro developers on what is missing from their distros
    with regard to Arabic support (in the form of what the various apps'
    Arabic support or lack-thereof is).  The distro developers/maintainers
    should very easily (that's why I'm into simple tables :-) know exactly
    what they should include/improve for them to have proper Arabic support.
    We're running tangentially (read: very close) to certifying their distros
    with regard to Arabic support without the headaches (or so was the idea).
    Note: we had those stars/support-level notion to show them what is
          considered minimal/acceptable/etc in relation to Arabic support.

Keep at it - its great to see this going again.