Re: Approaching the distros project in a better way

On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 19:11, Munzir Taha wrote:
> I would like to suggest that we abandon MAPS, RAPS, DAS, FAS, ... -style
> documents in favor of http://wiki.arabeyes.org/OpenBugs
> This approach would save us time and duplicating work. The bugs are just filed
> to their main component site not the distro that contains them.
>
> The other documents like
> http://wiki.arabeyes.org/SaisApps
> should continue on its way.
>
> My original approach with MAPS was to file all the bugs that found on
> Mandrakelinux to Mandrakelinux. Though this approach yielded some fruits,
> it's not the ideal one.
>
> Any suggestions?

Now that you mention it, I agree that the project needs some major
changes. And while I noticed that the OpenBugs page is not directly
relevant to the current incarnation of the distros project, I feel it is
nearer to what we want to do, so I welcomed its advertisement on the
distros page.

I was thinking of a suggestion on the following lines:
- The main and active pages should be the SAIS apps page and the
OpenBugs page. The SAIS apps page should be a summary of what apps we
need and what are their status. The status can be actually known from
the OpenBugs page, but this can be a short summary.
- If somebody wants to make a distro document, it can be more in a
how-to style, in terms of writing it for a user to use. This will also
highlight the main problems with the distro.
- Still, in the OpenBugs page, we will need links to the distro's bugs
(which is already there) because some distros introduce bugs not
existing in the main product (notably Red Hat), and because there are
sometimes programs that are related to special distros, like d-i,
anaconda, YAST, etc.

The most important thing, I believe, is that we need a list of the
applications asap. Somebody said he will generate it some time ago (not
sure who). But we can get this either by pushing the SAIS apps page, or
by pushing the OpenBugs page (luckily, all the programs have bugs:).
>From that we can go in a number of directions.

We need more participation in terms of suggesting apps for the OpenBugs
and/or SAIS apps.

Any suggestions?

Salam,
Muhammad Alkarouri