Re: arabic man pages is possible

hehe.. translating man pages was the first email i sent to arabeyes.org when i learned about their existance.. that was almost a year ago.. maybe.

I still think it is a fantastic idea and should be looked into seriously. I am not a fan of making the commands themselves arabic, but making the description and help arabic.

Tell you what... i will try and look into maybe converting man pages to some sort of a .po formant we can then create a new project under translatios and start working on that or get some people interested... How about that...

BTW, how is your book coming along.. can you tell me where to find it ?

Anmar

Moayyad Al-Sadi wrote:
--- Anmar Oueja <anmar at canada dot com> wrote:

Hello Moayyad:

Thanks alot for your man page. I am having diffculty
opening it in nautilus on Debian Sid but i am sure it is some
thing i am missing.

use KDE konq.. or in nautlus pic view as other then select galeon ---

BTW, if we use Docbook format (XML) we can
translated all of our docs to man pages (assuming we are translating them to man).

I think having arabic man pages is great.

Anmar

well I think 1st we should translate man pages that cover the system commands and admin and file types all of them comes with all distro and all of them comes as compressed plain text files we can translate every thing that does not begin with .(DOT) man pages is a text file with mark up like .TH .TE .PP just skip them when you translate no need to have the xml of the original man pages

Moayyad Al-Sadi wrote:

I was anti-transalting man pages since mlterm and

akaa

are not yet famous
but I real an article in linuxfocus that change my
mind
yes we can read arabic man pages in konqueror and
nautlus
download this test

http://www.linux-egypt.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=20041

change the extention to be foobar.n
and type in the address in konqueror or nautlus man:/home/name/foobar.n
then you can read it in arabbic
---
so let us start translating the main man pages
---

Sweepstakes