Re: Arabbix - now what

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 08:29, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> Anmar, I think we need to continue on Arabbix

I couldn't agree more.. but first let's give out burned-out protagonist
a big pat on the back and call out for more to bear the flag.

Mostafa's plea sums up my sentiment. Nothing can show case arabisation
better than doing it - and on a grand scale.

I would further add another plea:
Switch to Arabbix. We have to believe in our own medicine. The
Arabbix-ised debian environment overcomes many of the problems with
plain debian sid. We further need an arabeyes 'official' apt repository
to continue practising what we preach. And while I'm at it, why not be
controversial: we need to phase in more arabic in our communication with
one another... let's take off the snow gloves and work the dough with
our bare hands.

>  1. A logo for the Arabbix project.

YES, YES, YES! And please: Minimum elements (eg a few brush strokes, max
of 2 colours), oozes arabic-ness, clean, professionality through
simplicity, etc..

>  2. We need your files uploaded to CVS along with some instructions on what
>     one is required to do to create and/or improve on arabbix.  We need to
>     go through your steps and see how best to work in a cooperative manner
>     so that all the various bugs get fixed (I'll send out my report on 0.8
>     later).

I'm gonna get whiplash injuries from nodding too vigorously..

What happened to 0.7? As a general message, let's take a cue from Linus
folks: it's ready when it's ready. If it still has a good share of known
bugs by the deadline, let's not fool ourselves and others by playing the
rounded release numbers game. Freedom, liberty, truth, honesty,
cooperation.. our products should engender the values we stand for.

>  4. We need to complete the FAQ as potential new users will be looking for
>     assistance with issues (for instance enabling and using the dialup).

Anmar is not the culprit... the ol' bugger who's supposed to isn't
working efficiently.

Ra'id

--
Open = Free