Re: Arabbix - now what

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 21:29:11 -0700 (PDT)
"Nadim Shaikli" <shaikli at yahoo dot com> wrote:

> Anmar, I think we need to continue on Arabbix but not with the
> previous zest, furver and lack of sleep (but continue in earnest
> nonetheless). I think the following are needed urgently,

Please, Please, Please continue working frivolously on it. Never before
in the
history of computers (IMHO) there have been an operating system that you
just put it in the CD drive, reboot and you have got a complete arabic
interface. Plus, can't you see that Arabbix is comming in that meeting
point (thanks to arabeyes work, cooperation of developers and OSS model)
when arabic is available on the most important office suite , most
important web browser , most important desktop enviroments, most
important image manipulation program and the support of arabic in
GTK2/Qt etc.. What I mean is from 3 years arabic was very limited on
linux. Arabbix is the crowning jewel of the arabeyes project, because
armed with arabbix we could influence people with power that linux
is not just ready, it is there very powerfull and tailored for the
arabic user. I am telling you this, Arabbix is the most powerfull open
source weapon in the region. It is a weapon of mass switching!!

No, you shouldn't feel that previous adrenaline rush. But you should
continue nevertheless working at your own pace on the coolest distro in
the region. Look at katoob, started first as a project for Mohammed
Sameer to learn GTK. It then became a very important text editor for the
whole region. And my own favourite/default text editor. Arabbix /will/
be my default distro. Just for an important reason, I want to indulge my
self in an arabic UI, and I don't want to go into the exercize of
configuring arabic on mandrake etc,..

Arabbix will have a successfull niche market in the region. What I think
should be improved though is the ability to choose the place you live
in, in the arab world. So for example if you are in lebanon the time
zone should be set appropriatly and the calender should be set to the (I
don't know its name, aylool, hozayran, etc..). Also when the distro is
installed on the harddrive and I want to install new software, could
synaptics UI be arabized and could the packages (at least the most
important ones) have an arabic discription ?

Thanks,
Mostafa Hussein