Re: Feedback, distro, and other issues

--- Muhammad Alkarouri <karouri at uofk dot edu> wrote:
> I am a little sick now, so sorry if I put all subjects in one basket.

Hope you get better soon.

> - The distro project: we are still trying to compile a good page with
> the linux arabization. Current ideas are to certify applications with
> colors (red,orange,yellow,green,blue).

I'd stick to numbers (say 5 being best and 1 being worst or similar).
Colors are confusing (at best) and numbers (of anything - stars, camels,
figs, etc) are a great deal clearer.

>             After some days (I can't say when, but when I feel better) I
> will update it with some points and with a better version including more
> explanation for distro certification.

Looking forward to it.

> - The distro project (3): In order to give room for more participation
> of the community (==myself less participating), a todo list will be
> setup.

Say it aint so - the todo list/file is great, but I hope you will continue
with this (at a min until the first release of all that we've planned to
accomplish is released).

> - I am piggybacking here a formal request for a CVS account, as it seems
> that our versions of the distro docs will benefit from residing in the
> site, they are almost ready for a version 0.35 (may be?)

I will look into this and get back to you in private (ping me again if you
don't get anything from me in 1-2 days).

> - Nadim: I have just heard of shape_arabic.pl I would definitely love to
> toy with it a little, as a learning tool for Arabic shaping issues(perl
> I already know, at least enough to translate programs I need into
> python;). I wasn't able to use it, so I would spare a little
> explanation. What is the system setup sufficient to use it correctly?

The script should have worked under perl-5.6.0 and I'm guessing you are
running the more recent 5.8.0.  In any regard, I've modified the script
to now work properly under 5.8, so give it another try.