RE: [Saudi Linux] Prayer time

--- Ahmad Twaijry <msx at hush dot com> wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 Mohamed Alkanhal <alkanhal at kacst dot edu dot sa> wrote:
> >      I think an important step in Linux localization is to have
> >the Hijridate as an option with the Gregorian one. Yousuf Alharthi
> >has done some good work to bring UmAlqura calendar to Linux. He has
> >created a Qt Hijri library that we hope it can be included in the new
> >versions of Qt. You can check the ITL project on Arabeyes. By having
> >this library, we think all KDE applications (especially, the KCalendar
> >and the Kmail) can have the Hijri date. He has also tried to modify the
> >calendar applet on the KDE desktop but he couldn't complete this work
> >due to the dependency of the appleton the QT
>
> Very nice work, Did you submit the Hijri code to KDE bugzilla ? give
> us the bug ID so we can vote for it

Sounds great, awhile back we had someone that passed by that noted
an already working model under KDE (Korganizer at a min).  Do please
read this thread,

  http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/doc/2002/August/msg00006.html

and as can be seen we all need to be in sync on what is being done
and how best to proceed (so as to stay organized and non-repetitive).
We also need a similar library for GTK (and Gnome) if one doesn't
already exist.

> >He has some good ideas that he wants others to share with him.
>
> I hope if Fayez can join us at arabeyes and he can continue the
> calendar applet

Please do.  We really need to work more closely with each other.

> >      Regarding the Quran project, What fonts you are using? KACST
> >can help on the fonts as we have a font designer. Also, one of our
> >latest font releases has a nice font that can be used for AlQuran
> >Alkareem.
>
> no the problem is not in the fonts, we need someone can provide Us the
> quran in html/.doc/xml
>
> please read
> http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/general/2003/October/msg00181.html
> to know what is the problem

For the complete history/story on the Quran Data (and translations) issue,
do also please read the following post,

  http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/general/2003/October/msg00197.html

BTW: I've tried on a number of occasions to contact Mr. Alharthi about
     fonts and was never able to reach him.  We are in dire need of
     someone with proper abilities to inspect and possibly perfect (and
     let us know what was wrong) the fonts we've salvaged on our
     Khotot project (the project also mirrors your exceptional KACST
     fonts).

       http://www.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=Khotot

     The Khotot fonts seem to sometimes exhibit a very fine separation
     between the letters (I'd be more than happy to give a more verbose
     explanation given the 'font designer' noted above is contacted).

Salam & Ramadan Kareem.