Re: Arabic Mandrake Cooker ?

ביום שישי, 19 בדצמבר 2003, 06:42, נכתב על ידי Munzir Taha:
> On Thursday 18 December 2003 00:33, Diego Iastrubni wrote:
> Let's say you want to use BIDI
> Your glyphs are sickly and don't display all right
that means that at least ONE font which contains arabic/hebrwe glyphs is
found. It will be or "fixed" or "clearya" from m,y experience. I dont recall
if "fixed" contains arabic.

> Call out, "Hey, Unicode, help!"
> And it will change your code page in mid-flight.
> It will also add an extra byte.
not... it's not done this way. or your application displays 8 bit strings or
16 bits. UTF means you get them as 8 bits but they are displayed as 16bits.

> Your applications is now confused
> It doesn't know its left from right
you mean mirroring the application's windows? (I am talking about GUI here not
TUI). In QT it's done by calling QApplication::reverseLayout(). When you load
a translation the functions is supposed to reverse the layout if it's arabic
hebrew or farsi. (look in the code of KApplication to find how when and how
it's been done). About GTK I have no idea. I have always beleaved that your
groups has the GTK guru's. :)

> This is why encoding with Unicode is experimental
> Until we know where is the missing byte.
you mean 8bit->utf8->unicode? i know... in console it's notable.

> This is what I am speaking about
>
> Deleting Arabic text in terminals in response to an interactive command
> using BACKSPACE will delete the question itself!
even better, write one letter, and to really delete it, you will need to press
backspace twice, and thus "deleting" the prompt. I have seen it. utf8 was not
meant to be deliveried in "parts" :(

I have voted for this bug. BTW, only languages wich work with 7bit ascii will
not be affected by this bug. Nice.

--

diego,