Re: Arabeyes discussion [WAS: do we need...]

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 03:41:17PM +0200, Arafat Medini wrote:

Please move this discussion to the 'general' list.. please ;)

> I mean with user groups the Saudi user group the Algerian one etc. I'm
> sure they know us and will not ask...

Sure. Take the initiative ;)

> Abisource made a special price which constitues of 300$ for the person
> which cleans the highest number of bugs at a special day. Abisource
> makes the program Abiword (OSS app)...

Abiword apparently have money to spare.. don't get me started on the
donations ;) I've been footing the bill for Arabeyes for a long time until
a few months ago.. and very very very few people donated ;)

> That's your personal point of view, Arabeyes is there to make two worlds
> come together
> the OSS world and the Arab world, in its soul the Arab thing is
> fundamental, Even if you and me don't think so the goal has nothing to
> do with your or my personal thoughts.

Wrong. The Arab world and the Open Source world are not two separate entities.

> Institutionalization of the affections ;) One our the biggest hobbies of
> Arabs is speaking the whole day without anything coming out, something
> we are doing now ;)

Not quiet.. I'm still working on Duali ;)

> As an example the lack of translators for Gnome, the big amount of
> semi-dead apps etc...

When you first took over the GNOME coordinator position, I told you the
one thing that you will find yourself spending the most amount of time on
will be recruiting. It is by no means a simple task..

> I'll show him what Arabs are ;) At the end of next month the core
> desktop, libs included will be completed.

That's what I like to hear ;)

> For speeding up the gnome translation I was working for one week 22 to
> 24 hours a day...

Unless your typing speed is like mine, you should have been done with the
entire GNOME UI then ;)

> I don't agree here. Look at the gnome project or mozilla or php or even the
> Kernel...

Until there are sufficient open source projects that answer to the needs
of the Arabic-speaking world, we must tread very carefully and preserve
the life of any project. Once we get past that point, then your argument
would be valid. We are a long way from there.

> "We are all busy with our lives" quoted from an early post about KDE
> translators...

Yup. The biggest difference between development projects and translation
projects is that the latter are tied to a deadline with its mother
project. Development projects can go at the pace of the developer without
having to observe an external deadline. This gives flexibility in the
developer having to disappear for awhile.

> I'm working so hard believe me I can't do more, I mean I'm translating on
> a daily basis
> for 3 to 4 hours and once or twice a week for 6 hours. My University
> started and I returned translating at the beginning of the second week,
> what do i have to do more? even the 22 to 24h mark was attained...

You're not the GNOME coordinator for nothing ;)

later
---
Was I helpful? Let others know:
http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=elzubeir