Arabeyes discussion [WAS: do we need...]

On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 06:57:37PM +0200, Arafat Medini wrote:
> Salam
>
> The first Q is obvious, by speaking with people and encouraging them to
> work with us. What about sending all the user groups an email with a
> request to post some Job offerings!!! I want to do that. And I'll make
> this but I need the approval of the big three (4?)

Post all you want. If you are offering a 'job', you will get an influx of
people who will think they were will be a financial compensation for their
work. You will spend half the time explaining to people exactly what
you are.

> How can we make them acitve... I don't know! From my experience, I had a
> goal I wanted to reach something which I was working for. I'm sure if
> you make a goal for people they'll work for it. Maybe some prices? Maybe
> a honoring interview, maybe money!!! But at the end the programmers,

You have been on this for long enough. You know what any Open Source
contributor gets in return. We are no different from any other Open
Source project in that respect.

> translators,etc... Have to know they're doing the Job for every Arab out
> there, I mean thaT's a big problem. Maybe the question would be how can
> we make the "workers" believe in themselves in the Arab world and the
> work they are doing for the Arab world, this is really a whole other
> story...

I don't think it has much to do with this 'Arab' thing. There's a
project, there are people.. some will work, some won't. Some want to
work, but don't have the will power. Some just want to put their
name out there to show their friends and sit back doing nothing..
If you stop concentrating on the 'Arab' factor and focus more on the
'people' factor, you may be able to get more answers.

> How can we keep the active volunteers interested I think that answer to
> question 2 is the same for this Q, maybe more rights in affecting
> Arabeyes? I suppose if the orginiztion becames more dynamic. People will
> get under pressure and work also.

I'm not sure I understand you. Everyone's contribution affects Arabeyes.
You are affecting Arabeyes right now ;)

> "Will we attain our goals with the current configuration", What are our

Define 'configuration'.

> goals? Translation? Let me be sincere, at the gnome front I am the only
> person who's working very hard now. And I know I can't make it all

Yes, and Roozbeh was/is the only one working on the Farsi GNOME. Guess
what? He has single-handedly beat you and everyone else on the GNOME project.
So, don't get me started on that. Maybe less time posting the same stuff
we have been talking about on the lists and more time translating?

> alone. Mr. Abdin is still present and I'm waiting for him to help
> because he's a very good translator (Hassan where are you? ;) ) on the
> KDE fron it seems, from the post of Elzubair, nothing is going. On the

Yes, not much is going on. The problem with KDE is that its coordinator
(yours truly) is not a translator. I think that will have to chance, and
I will start doing some of the translation work to bring things up to
speed. This is simply not acceptable. If I have to stay up late at night,
fall asleep at my desk at work.. I will not allow KDE's next big release
to be crap. Mark my words!

If the folks who claimed to be ready to work and no longer care to even
say, I won't be available for this time, or forever.. are not going to be
there to help, so be it. We will put out a good release.

> other fronts I have a point of critics which sure many will not agree
> with. We have too many little projects. What will a gnome quran do? I
> mean Allahu akbar our Religion is for us more important then the air we
> breathe, but is a gnome quran really the answer? And many projects are
> apparently dead. Or not? no one really knows...

There are 2 issues you may not understand about Arabeyes then. First of
all, one of the main purposes of Arabeyes is to preserve projects from
extinction. That is, we ensure that a project does not just disappear.
Secondly, take a look at Duali -- it took more than a year since we
decided to start the project for a pre-alpha release. Some projects
take a long time to put together.. others have little reason to progress.
Take for instance QaMoose. There isn't much there to add (well, there is,
but not with the current design).

If you see a project dead, make not of it. If someone wants to 'take-over'
a project, they make such an announcement and we help facilitate such
a transition of maintainership. However, the project itself should
never be dead.

GnomeQuran (and others for that matter) has had a release already. Some
people actually use it. Do you really expect us to kill the project because
the author is currently busy with life? He has even posted about this.

> My Idea would be, clean up dead or semi-dead projects. Make a lean
> orginization, I'm sure this is very unlickely to happen, but I still

It depends on what you mean by 'cean-up'. See, if you mean, ensure that
an active maintainer is taking over the project, then we are in agreement.
However, if you mean to simply kill every project that doesn't witness
active development for a few months, then that's simply unrealistic. You
are mixing translation progress with development progress. They work very
differently.

> think this will make the whole prject smaller yes but clearer. On top of
> that we can build now goals. We have to set-up new goals. Why not let us
> all make every month a meeting. We have to speak more, we have to work
> more, we have to work on less things and we have to get more people.
> "work more, get more, on less" this is a nice slogan.

How about this, "talk less and work more?". I mean, I just wated a good
20 minutes replying to this email while I could have been working on
my KDE's translation review.. or finishing off some touch-ups on Duali.

later
---
Was I helpful? Let others know:
http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=elzubeir