Re: Want to join KDE translation effort

On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 06:51:14PM +0300, Turki Al-Marri wrote:
> السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته
> But I have some questions:
> - Is there anything I need beside the PO files?
> - What should I translate trunk-kde3, trunk-kde4, or stable?
trunk-kde4 as we are targeting KDE4.

See the wiki page, http://wiki.arabeyes.org/كدي .

> - Does any distro ignore this translation and use its own? (I'm using
> Kubuntu right now)
Well, ubuntu some times alter the translation, slightly though, in
launchpad for some distro specific stuff.

> - What is the quickest way to preview the translation (nightly or
> weekly builds, localization packages, or something of that sort)
First you'll need to run KDE4 (as you are translating it), to test the
translation of a particular application, say KGPG, you'll need to
compile it using msgfmt tool (kbabel can do it for you):
$ msgfmt -cv kgpg.po -o /usr/share/locale/ar/LC_MESSAGES/kgpg.mo
This should work for most cases.

> - Is there a calendar for IRC meetings somewhere?
I don't think so, but we can try to coordinate such meetings (since
Chahibi is absent most of the week).

> - Is there any "sane" keyboard layout for Linux? (the current one
> treat ﻻ as one character, plus a number of weird stuff like shift+س=S)

I submitted a patch for some issues in the layout (shift+ﺱ=S and
others), it is in the latest xkb package now, but there is no way to fix
the لا issue without changing X itself, so, just ignore all لا keys and
type ل+ا instead.
--
 Khaled