Re: Want to join KDE translation effort

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 18:51:14 +0300
"Turki Al-Marri" <turki dot almarri at gmail dot com> wrote:

> السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته.

> As a huge fan of KDE I want to translate it to Arabic. I already
> checked out the PO files :)
Welcome at Arabeyes :)

> But I have some questions:
> - Is there anything I need beside the PO files?
No.
> - What should I translate trunk-kde3, trunk-kde4, or stable?
We (they :-)) are targetting KDE 4, so I guess trunk-kde4 is what should be
translated. You'd better choose something (see the ASSIGNED file for already
taken files) and contact the coordinator (or wait for him to reply here) to
avoid duplicated work. (The KDE coordinator is Youssef Chahibi)
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/%D9%83%D9%8A%D8%AF%D9%8A#.D8.A7.D9.84.D8.AC.D9.85.D9.88.D8.B9
> - Does any distro ignore this translation and use its own? (I'm using
> Kubuntu right now)
There sould not be any since this will be the official translation released
with KDE.
> - What is the quickest way to preview the translation (nightly or
> weekly builds, localization packages, or something of that sort)
I don't know about this since I don't use KDE :-(
> - Is there a calendar for IRC meetings somewhere?
Unfortunately not, ask the coordinator to organize meetings if you want them :-)
> - Is there any "sane" keyboard layout for Linux? (the current one
> treat ﻻ as one character, plus a number of weird stuff like shift+س=S)
I don't think so, there were plans to make one but I don't know how far they
are.

> I know I asked a little too much, but bear with me :)
;-)